Floor Load Limits

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

SH

Floor Load Limits

Post by SH » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:56 pm

I have a fairly new mobile home.(4 years old) I am interested in installing a gun safe (575lbs) and centering it directly on the I beam which has the leveling concrete block tower directly underneath were I would put the safe. Would I need additional support for the floor? I don't want to have to rip the belly rap up to build additional support. But I can and will if needed. The moblile home is a Chandeleur 16x80.

Brian Guidry

Re: Floor Load Limits

Post by Brian Guidry » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:04 pm

IF you have at minimum 2x6 joists 16" o.c. AND at least 3/4" decking AND you're putting it directly over the i-beam then it should be ok. This is just my personal experience from living in manufactured homes for about 17 years.

Maybe some of the pros could chime in and give their opinion.

Eugene

Post by Eugene » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:03 pm

the concrete pier you mentioned should be a double block pier, that is 16" x 16" with double cap blocks and double shims. also, the other piers should be spaced no more than 8' apart. with a good concrete footing on good soil

chllcrb

Post by chllcrb » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:34 am

If the gun cabinet has a flat bottom and sits directly on the floor then it should be okay I think hud code is 400 lbs / square foot. If the gun cabinet is on wheels are casters that is another situation due to the fact that the weight of the cabinet is distributed to the casters or wheels.