Trying to Value a 1999 Golden West Oakwood Manufactured Home

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

JulieAnn Smith

Trying to Value a 1999 Golden West Oakwood Manufactured Home

Post by JulieAnn Smith » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:23 am

Greetings!

First of all, thanks for this forum. :)

My husband and I are interested in the subject house, model BOM-3723. The brochure, which is more 'fluff' than anything else, describes the home as a "Family Dream Home". The dimensions are 27' x 66', 1782 approximate square feet, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, with some upgrades. The house is situated in Coos Bay, Oregon (ZIP code 97420). It sits on a hill, facing the bay and ocean, so it would receive some inclement weather. We understand from the seller the house was built in 1999 and placed in April 2000 on a foundation and has not been moved.

We'd like to learn as much about this model as possible (such as whether the model was built to withstand the weather of a Coastal town) so we can decide whether to put down an offer on this home.

The seller told us this home was manufactured by Golden West, model name Oakwood. I have not, however, been able to find anything that matches that description, nor the model number, by searching the Web. I understand Clayton bought Golden West and I went to that site, but didn't find this floor plan there. I emailed Clayton asking for info on this model, but have not heard back from them.

Many thanks, in advance, for your kind assistance.

Sincerely,

JulieAnn Smith

rmurray

Re: Trying to Value a 1999 Golden West Oakwood Manufactured Home

Post by rmurray » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:57 am

Golden West has been considered on of the better homes in the area...even though in the end of Oakwood...2 years ago...quality slipped...Your 99 model is fine...

It is built better than most site builts in the area..and a little weather will not hurt it more than any other type home...As a matter of fact...the view ADDS value to the home...My guess is that any home with this view will sell for more than one without it...

Value is all in the eye of the beholder...location is everything...Like any 5 year old home...you should have a home inspection done...go for it..

Brian

Post by Brian » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:56 am

Try contacting Inter City Housing in Albany. They deal with Golden West and have for quite a while. They may have the floorplan on hand. Brian

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:01 pm

If you would like to get a good idea of where prices are on pre-owned manufactured homes in your area visit the MH Multiple Listing Service. You will be able to view thousands of photos of homes for sale and see what Dealers and private sellers are asking for similar homes in your local area.

You can also order a manufactured housing book value report on line at https://ssl.xpr.com/mfdhousing/mhcredit/value.php.

All reports are filed by an experienced Manufactured Housing Valuator, based on the information that you submit about your home. A Value Report will be returned to your e-mail within 3 days (excluding Sat and Sun) for only $29.95.

This is not a full appraisal and the results should not be relied on for major decisions. but will give you an idea of what your homes is selling for at retailer locations across the country.

WEBMASTER