Value of a 1999 Oakwood

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Les

Value of a 1999 Oakwood

Post by Les » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:54 am

I have a 1999 Oakwood 16x76 "Entertainer" series MH I am considering trading in on a multi-section home. The home is in really good shape considering it is an Oakwood. I live near Oneonta, Alabama. About how much could I expect to get for it as a trade in? I am considering Fleetwood, Cavalier, Palm Harbor, and Clayton homes. Anyone care to rank these in order of quality? Also, what wood be a reasonable price range for a multi-section from these manufacturers?

Thanks,

Les

Les

Re: Value of a 1999 Oakwood

Post by Les » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:44 pm

I forgot to mention in the original post that the MH is 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Also, it has a shingle roof and vinyl siding. Any guesses would be appreciated.

Les

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:35 am

Value is hard to say..This is very local and depends on how much a dealer wants to have a used home...I am afraid in todays market..most folks with a 99 and 30 year financing do not have enough equity to trade..

Quality question in your area..

Palm Harbor...Clayton..Cavalier..Fleetwood...That order..pricing will also be in that order..VALUE may well be the other way around..Buy quality...let features and size determine price..

Les

Post by Les » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:09 am

Mr. Murray,

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid that equity in the home would be a problem. My wife and I are exploring our options right now. With three kids and us it is getting a little crowded. We may try to sell the home and land outright and then buy a different piece of property and get a DW. Or we may try to trade in the SW for a DW. Maybe I'll win the lottery on one of my trips to Atlanta and won't have to worry about it. :)

So far I liked the Cavalier but I haven't gone to look at the Palm Harbor yet. I may go to a different lot to look at the Fleetwoods again. The dealer I stopped in at flat out sucked. The homes were all locked and the guy who came with me to open them couldn't tell me squat about them (someone at work told me when they went to look at this lot the guy just threw him and his wife the keys and said to bring them back when they were done) . Maybe I'll get a better feel for Fleetwood when I go to a different dealer. The Clayton dealer near me only had like 3 homes on his lot so it was hard for me to get a good read on them.
Thanks for the reply.

Les

crystal

Post by crystal » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:38 pm

I just wanted to give you a little insight on a Cavalier home that I purchased in 2000. I loved the home it was beautiful but within a year I started having problems. Mold and leaks in the walls. I tried thru my insurance to get it covered. They said it was the Warranty people. I tried thru the warranty and nothing. Still to this day nothing has been done on it.

Les

Post by Les » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:02 pm

Crystal,

What state do you live in? What dealer did you buy it from? What model was it? Do you know if the problem with the leaks and mold was caused by a poor setup job or is it a factory problem? From what I have heard and read it seems to me most of the people who have problems with leaks and mold didn't have a good setup crew and the home was never setup right to begin with.

Les