Ever hear of a Dealer/Partner?

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Carol

Ever hear of a Dealer/Partner?

Post by Carol » Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:26 am

I just found another dealer, who told me he was in business as a partner with the MH manufacturer and he could sell to me direct and save me money. He set up a phone conference with him, the manufacturer, and me next week regarding the modifications I want.
I seem to remember a warning on this forum a while back about the fallacy of "buying direct." Also, he almost insisted that I visit the manufacturing plant in person.
What do you think is going on here?

Dan O

Re: Ever hear of a Dealer/Partner?

Post by Dan O » Sat Feb 22, 2003 2:53 pm

I have seen where some retailers, usually in buyers groups, purchase or are involved in the IPO of a new factory. What that gets them is the value of the stock and a larger "back end" or rebate from the manufacturer.
Does that make the retailer a partner? Well yes, in the same way I am a partner in General Motors because I own some stock. I would talk to the factory and, if possible see the place. Then see if really you are getting a price advantage.
Also, check out the retailer the same way anyone should check out any company they will do business with. See refferences, check with BBB and how long have they been in business.
good luck

rmurray

Re: Ever hear of a Dealer/Partner?

Post by rmurray » Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:50 pm

The dealer has some very important functions in the sale of a home...Trying to do with out one is like doing with out a contractor when building a stick home...This fellow is a dealer...This is the only way you can get a home...he can call it anything he likes...he is a dealer..,.check him out like you would any dealer...Good Luck