class action lawsuit on gray pipe

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Sean

class action lawsuit on gray pipe

Post by Sean » Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:07 pm

Hi I have a 70's mobile home and it has the old gray pipe that I heard there was a class action lawsuit. I heard then that the pipe would be replaced free of charge. If you have any info on this please let me know. who do I contact and so on.
Thanks,
Sean

rmurray

Re: class action lawsuit on gray pipe

Post by rmurray » Tue Feb 18, 2003 7:52 am

"If you purchased a house, mobile home or other structure in the United States after September 12, 1999, that contains plumbing composed of polybutylene (pb) pipe with plastic or metal insert fittings, this notice is directed to you. The pb plumbing must have been installed between January 1, 1978, and July 31, 1995. If you have pb plumbing, you may be entitled to free replacement of your plumbing if it has leaked in the past, or has leaked in the future."

For more information, visit this website or call 1-800-392-7591:
www.pbpipe.com/index1.htm

John

Bob your sage advice please

Post by John » Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:49 am

Bob:
Question on the pb pipes. I have a 1978 Walden DW that has gray plumbing and have never had a problem with the plumbing. What should I look for to determine if it is a problem in the making? We have had very few problems with this home in the last ten years. Replaced all the windows with vinyl and paint is about all which makes it hard to throw it away to get a new one although that is what I would like to do.

rmurray

Re: Bob your sage advice please

Post by rmurray » Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:29 pm

I suggest you should post this question in the new renovation forum here....They will be much better able to answer you..

Dora T

Post by Dora T » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:48 am

I bought a Mobile home in 2006,During the last month or so,I have had problems with the (pb) gray piping in my home.My understanding this should be replaced. I have 1993 mobile home.My understanding is that the piping should be replaced free of cost.I would like to be link free since I am on disability.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:57 pm

There was a class action over ten years ago and many homes were re-plumbed at no cost to the owners. There was a time limit for action and The Polybutylene Pipe Class Settlement has been closed. I'm sorry that you wont find any assistance for your problem at this time. The problem was not with the pipes themselves but with the way they were joined together. In my rental homes we have replace most of the clamped couplings with newer glued or pressure fittings.... this is not a tough job and really wont require a plumbers skills. It can be accomplished by just about any handyman.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]