Fireplaces and ...

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Tom

Fireplaces and ...

Post by Tom » Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:19 pm

First question is that I am purchasing a new home and it does have a fireplace. However, I would like to have one that serves a purpose of more than looks and know that there are gas models etc out there that will assist you in heating the entire house.... any suggestions ?

Secondly, I got my first bid in today on a home and would like some thoughts. It is a Homes of Merit build. 3/2 and 2,400 square feet. I changed the 4/3 to a 3/2 to give me larger rooms. Added engergy star package, alarm system, 220 line in one room, 1/2 sheetrock throught and texture and taped walls througout, celing fans in all rooms as well as phone lines.... and a few more relatively minor things. I was quoted 76,700... any thoughts? This does not include septic as I will put that in myself... but that is setup and delivered in Florida.

Thanks
Tom

rmurray

Re: Fireplaces and ...

Post by rmurray » Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:46 am

The fireplace is a wood burning fireplace with a blower...It will do a good job of heating the immediate area if used with the doors closed and the blower on...I doubt there is a fireplace available that would heat a 2400 foot home very well..The type of fuel really does not make a difference...Effecient heating can only be done by a heat pump or furnace...These are much more efficient than ANY fireplace..

I am a HOM dealer...Depending on the model..the price is very good...The top of the line is the Bay Manor...This should be the home you are getting the bids on...

A couple things to remember...HOM REQUIRES poured footers for tape and textured homes...They will finish the home on your site (eliminates transportation damage..) but they only warranty the tape and texture for 30 days...If the home is set right..this is good enough...

Be sure you review the spec sheet from the company closely...They are very good at custom orders...but all info MUST be on the spec sheet...The home will be exactly like this sheet...Also...before you order..I would ask if you are missing any good options..they have many convenience options that can make living easier...example..duel switches for fans with light fixtures (separate switch for light and fan)..they will do as many exterior water faucets and outlets you are willing to pay for, 4 corner spot lights are popular....the list goes on and on..you might want a few of these as well...

John

Re: Fireplaces and ...

Post by John » Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:37 am

Since you are having phone lines why not have cable/eathernet cable wired also even if you don't need it now. If you want to install speakers on certain walls or in the ceiling it is easier run the wire before drywall than after.

Myra

Wow! Sounds like you are getting a good deal!....sm

Post by Myra » Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:04 pm

Around here a home of that size with that many options would be 85-90K! Just for the house!

Mac

Re: Wow! Sounds like you are getting a good deal!....sm

Post by Mac » Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:23 pm

We live in northwest Oregon and heat our house MAINLY with wood. I say mainly because we do run the furnace fan to move air around. We installed a wood stove in a corner of the family room, have a small fan (stove-powered) to move heated air, then move it more with the ceiling fan. We have yet to drop much below freezing, but this does a great job. Our Karsten came with a fireplace but we deleted that, opting to put this in. Of course, we do have small acreage with alder trees that blow down each winter.
The stove (here) needs to be approved for MH, and have an outside air kit (a pipe that draws burn air from outside, about 4" in diameter. Ours is a Quadra-Fire/Dovre cast-iron stove looking like Vermont Castings etc.

Mac

Re: Wow! Sounds like you are getting a good deal!....sm

Post by Mac » Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:23 pm

We live in northwest Oregon and heat our house MAINLY with wood. I say mainly because we do run the furnace fan to move air around. We installed a wood stove in a corner of the family room, have a small fan (stove-powered) to move heated air, then move it more with the ceiling fan. We have yet to drop much below freezing, but this does a great job. Our Karsten came with a fireplace but we deleted that, opting to put this in. Of course, we do have small acreage with alder trees that blow down each winter.
The stove (here) needs to be approved for MH, and have an outside air kit (a pipe that draws burn air from outside, about 4" in diameter. Ours is a Quadra-Fire/Dovre cast-iron stove looking like Vermont Castings etc.