Who is the best?

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Bill

Who is the best?

Post by Bill » Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:26 pm

I have been looking at manufactured homes for about two months now and I am really confused. I have looked at many differnt manufactures and they all say the are the best. What brand homes are the best and who stands behind their product ie warrenty,customer service?

Ryan

Re: Who is the best?

Post by Ryan » Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:18 am

Everyone , says they are the best, but only one has the manufactured housing industry, award for home of the year for the past three years. That is the clayton line. Excellent service and construction, great warrenty and building materials, while others filed bankrupcty this past year, clayton homes continue to open new lots and prodive many new people, with affordable, creative, quality housing.

rmurray

Re: Who is the best?

Post by rmurray » Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:13 am

WRONG...They have won the Manufacturer of the year award from the main industry association (Manufactured Housing Association)....not a consumer group...the most important aspect of the reward is profitablility and industry inovation...It has nothing to do with the quality, design or specs of the homes themselves...
Also....Clayton has opened a few new sales centers...but has closed others..they have the same number now as they did 12 months ago..

:-)

Methinks Ryan works for Clayton.

Post by :-) » Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:45 pm

Dan O

Re: Methinks Ryan works for Clayton.

Post by Dan O » Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:00 pm

It would be a wonderful world if someone could say, "this is the best". It is not always a perfect world. It can get to a point where you really don't know. Depending on your spending, therer are many good choices. The best is find a retailer who impresses you. Look at the service department, ask about the homes.
The point is, what is best for you may be not the best for someone else.
I believe that the retailer is the focal point, a good retailer, who answers questions and is open about the subject of manufactured homes is the best choice.
good luck

BIGjoe

Post by BIGjoe » Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:02 pm

Hey Ryan how much does Clayton pay you to be their spokesman??

Donna

Post by Donna » Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:01 pm

I have worked in the Manufactured Homes business for and installer for 4 years. Out of all of the homes we deliver and set up for dealers on new homes, Homestead stands behind their homes, they send out a factory crew which will stay in your area until all your problems you have are fixed and your happy with your home. If you will look at law suits thru your state manufactured housing commission you will find less law suits on Homestead over Fleetwood, Patriot, Homestar or any other big name. Alot of problems involved with mobile homes is the installer how they handle your home, follow manfactured set-up manuals for your home. Just make sure that upon buying your manufactured home you check out your installer. If you pay cheap you get cheap work and a messed up home that can never be corrected. You pay for what you get. So be careful and do not pay a bootlegger as we call them in Alabama.

Donna

Post by Donna » Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:08 pm

Let me add a suggestion to my reply. As a certified installer will inspect the mobile home you have chosen on a dealers lot, let you know of any problems we can visibly see with the home. Examples: If the hauler had flats hauling to the dealers lot, they may have changed a tire put the jack in the wrong place and bent the frame (can't be corrected) Check for sheetrock fallen off walls, tears in lineolieum, counter tops not glued correctly, squeaks in floors on the lot. If home is lot set make sure rain has not come inside the home from not roof cap being put on home when it was lot set. These are some of the things you need to look for. I could go on and on but I have to get back to work.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:39 pm

Sorry but the Homestead plant was closed about 4 weeks ago and no service will be run from there in the future..