home values

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

JohnnyJ

Re: Greystone

Post by JohnnyJ » Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:56 pm

Thanks RM. I forgot to mention that the Greystone is upgradeable. The standard
comes with 2 X 4 exterior walls. You pay $795 to upgrade to 2 X 6, but worth it.
The floors are 2 X 6. Both the standard and the upgrade are 16" OC in the
ceiling, floor and walls. I am reading this from the spec sheet.

There is no mention of an OSB wrap. It does state that there is "Greenguard
Ext. Sheathing W/ 1.2 R- Value."

What is this Greenguard?

Mrs X

Re: I left out the word "pantry" in the above.

Post by Mrs X » Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:39 am

Obviously, the Greystone DOES have a kitchen. Just no pantry.

Mrs X

Re: Basic PH

Post by Mrs X » Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:45 am

How does the most basic PH compare to a Fleetwood Hickory Hill line?

Also - I think the LaGrange built PH's have only 7.5 sidewalls and the Boaz models have 8 feet, but I might be wrong. I'm probably going over to the PH dealer today and will double-check.

Bill Fry

Re: I left out the word "pantry" in the above.

Post by Bill Fry » Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:52 am

Greenguard is a foam like board used behind wood siding,stucco,brick etc.With vinyl siding plywood or OSB is a much stronger and wiser choice.

JohnnyJ

Post by JohnnyJ » Sat Jan 25, 2003 8:24 am

Thanks RM. I forgot to mention that the Greystone is upgradeable. The standard
comes with 2 X 4 exterior walls. You pay $795 to upgrade to 2 X 6, but worth it.
The floors are 2 X 6. Both the standard and the upgrade are 16" OC in the
ceiling, floor and walls. I am reading this from the spec sheet.

There is no mention of an OSB wrap. It does state that there is "Greenguard
Ext. Sheathing W/ 1.2 R- Value." It says nothing about sheathing, which
leaves me with another question to ask the sales rep. But, that's why I'm
here.... to learn.

The $795 package I mentioned above also upgrades to : R-33 Ceiling,
R-19 Sidewalls, R-22 Floors.

JohnnyJ

Post by JohnnyJ » Sat Jan 25, 2003 8:30 am

The spec sheet says the sidewalls are 84", or 7'. That was our main complaint.
Our poster bed will not even fit in the MBR because of the low ceiling at the
sidewalll. The pantry in the Greystone is in the kitchen, by the way.

Mrs X

Re: I was wrong about Greystone

Post by Mrs X » Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:22 pm

Whoops! When I mentioned the lack of a pantry, I was thinking about another house Palm Harbor makes that is NOT the Greystone - I think it may be called "Full House". It's very, very, very nice - also very, very expensive - $83,000! Out of my price range, except the saleswoman DID say they could build it in a 28 foot wide instead of a 32 and do this/do that to bring the price down.

I also looked at the Greystone and it DOES have a pantry, but I hate the 7-foot sidewalls! Why THE HELL can't LaGrange, GA build a higher side-wall? I'm SO TIRED of seeing something here that I like and something there that I like but when you want to combine all the good features N000000000000 - LaGrange doesn't do that, Boaz does that but it's going to be more money, you can't get that vinyl wall covering in the LaGrange products - here TAKE this ugly carpet because only Boaz has the color you want, etc. etc. etc.! Yet Palm Harbor talks about their customization! Well then BUILD ME THE GREYSTONE WITH 7.5 FOOT SIDEWALLS, WOMAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another thing about the Greystone that I didn't like - those louvred blinds that cover up the opening between the kitchen and the living room. I'd have those deleted and have a pass-through into the living room.

But the price - the price was unbelievable. $52,999! And just 3 weeks ago, it was only $49,000!!! That is a beautiful home. the kitchen is unbelievable, the den on the end is very attractive, the master bath is great, etc. But I hate those sidewalls!

I asked about the wall studs - they ARE 2 x 4 and 16" o.c.

And frankly, I'm ready to just buy something I like and not worry about every engineering spec being exactly right. I've lived in this El Cheapo site built house for 16 years now and it's still standing.

Patiently awaiting a lecture from Randy and Mr. Murray about the error of my thinking, I am

Half-assedly,

Mrs. X

rmurray

Re: I was wrong about Greystone

Post by rmurray » Sat Jan 25, 2003 11:06 pm

No lecture....take a breath...decide what is important to you..the LaGrange product is inferior to almost all other PH..You said..
"I asked about the wall studs - they ARE 2 x 4 and 16" o.c."..
I bet the salesperson was talking about exterior walls..not interior walls...

The best built, ;arge homes cost from 70 to 80 K...You cannot buy the better homes at 53K unless you give up lots of features and size...

You have to decide....pocket book vs size, quality and features...The reason most manufactured homes are of the middle range price with big size, fancy features and basic to low quality is that most customers buy that way...Most of these folks are happy...but will have more to deal with in the future...

The other thing you have to decide is locally owned independent dealers vs large corporate dealers...Of course you know how I feel...but both have their strong points...

I still think you should look at Horton and compare...the Fleetwood probably is not any better than the LaGrange product..

JohnnyJ

The lack of WRAP...

Post by JohnnyJ » Sat Jan 25, 2003 11:38 pm

The Greystone lacks the OSB or plywood on the exterior walls. I don't think that
makes good sense. You could literally break through to the inside with a
pocket knife. I am now crossing the Greystone off my list.

Mrs X

Re: The lack of WRAP...

Post by Mrs X » Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:34 am

Johnny, the PH saleswoman told me that the Greystone DOES have OSB - - did she lie? I very stupidly forgot to get a spec sheet.

And Mr. Murray, I'm sure what you say is correct, but for those of us who do not have the land to put the M-H on, we are at the mercy of the very few dealers who will locate a parcel of land for us -- - - and that's not many dealers, I assure you. I know - I've been to many. I've found that only Palm Harbor and Fleetwood (to some extent) are willing/able to do this. I DID go to Horton who referred me to a real estate agent who is an in-law of one of the Horton dealership employees and who therefore should have more of an interest in finding land for Horton customers - but all she's done is e-mail me that "I'm looking........." That was 6 weeks ago.

As already stated here and there on this website, unrestricted land in North Georgia is at a premium. It really leaves people like me out in the cold - or forced to buy a small, ugly, site-built dump - and I prefer the M-H.

How 'bout you, Mr. Murray? Does your dealership get into the land search end of things?