first time seller of mobile home

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Mark Carter

first time seller of mobile home

Post by Mark Carter » Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:15 am

What is a fair commission that a realtor should be charging me for listing and selling my mobile home here in OC, California? I live in a mobile home in the center of an area known as "Lil' Saigon". The area is very popular with Vietnamese families to live and run their businesses. A local realtor has come and offered to list my home for $6000. This is a flat fee regardless of sale price and only collected upon the sale of our home. Comparison sales at our park put us in the market value of $40,000- $52,000. We are new to the whole selling thing and would like to know what to expect as far as selling.
Thanks, Mark

Anyone with information for my wife and I would be welcome.

John

Re: first time seller of mobile home

Post by John » Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:06 am

In every city I have sold a house in the rate was 6% of the selling price with one exception and that was in Chicago years ago where it was 7% to $50K and 6 over.
You didn't say if the home is on owned land and what was the housing market like.

Art Rigsby

Post by Art Rigsby » Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:58 am

Mark,

The realtor is trying to screw you. Real estate commissions run 6% or less in California. I would look for a different realtor.

Art

Mark Carter

Post by Mark Carter » Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:02 pm

As far as the market is concerned, the MHs in this area (Lil' Saigon) are selling like prok fried hotcakes! To give you an idea...a triple wide sold for $120,000, and two comparisons to my unit sold for between $40-$52,000, both of which were 10 and 15 years older than ours but in comparison ours is a 20X60 double wide and the other two were 24X60 double wides....
Again, thanks for any information you can provide.

John

Post by John » Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:03 pm

If they are selling well why not go FSBO?

Mark Carter

Post by Mark Carter » Sat Jan 18, 2003 1:23 am

I'm unsure of all the "things" that are required to sell a mobile home...credit checks, escrow, etc...
If someone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, Mark C.