Mobile homes

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Penny Holcomb

Mobile homes

Post by Penny Holcomb » Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:46 pm

How can anyone sell these worthless, death traps? THey burn down in less than 10 min. and fall apart in 6 mos. of living in them. Mobile homes ought to be out-lawed! THey are unsafe, and lose their value the minute you move into these things! How can salesmen sleep at night knowing they sold one of these worhtless card board boxes!

Richard

Re: Mobile homes

Post by Richard » Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:44 pm

Amen. My Skyline must be one of the top two worst built MHs.

John

Post by John » Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:54 pm

Gee Penny I guess those anger management courses didn't work.

Art Rigsby

Post by Art Rigsby » Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:31 pm

Penny,

This is really something that you should discuss at your next therapist session.

Art

Bill W.

Post by Bill W. » Fri Jan 17, 2003 7:45 pm

My In-laws have lived in a Holy Park home for 35 years and is in as good of condition when they bought it! We have lived in our Skyline Double wide for 1 1/2 years and are very pleased with it. Stick built homes are just as prone to fire and falling apart as manufactured homes. Start to watch Dr. Phil, it might help you with your anger problems.

Bill.

Dan O

Post by Dan O » Sat Jan 18, 2003 10:45 am

As a former salesman of manufactured homes (if your going to insult something, get the name right) I can tell you I slept just fine.
Why? Because I helped families get into their own homes in a way they could afford.
Manufactured homes are some of the safest homes made today. They do not fall apart, they are not substandard housing. In the Northeast almost every home carries 6" outer walls, just like site built homes. Insulation and other standards are simular to state coded homes.
Our homes only lose value, in some area's if they do, because people believe the things you are saying. It is only the mindless charges from people who only THINK they know what they are talking about.
I am sorry it seems you were frightened by a "mobile home" when you werre a child, but one would think you would have grown up by now.
The "cheap" mobile homes from our past, are just that, from our past.

Judy

Post by Judy » Sat Jan 18, 2003 1:34 pm

I have a Poloron manufactured home, 14x70, that I bought in 1984. It has been on the same lot since then. I'm cosidering moving about 40 miles away. I've been told that a manufactured home the age of mine might not stand up to such a move. Anyone have any information about this?

Richard

Post by Richard » Sat Jan 18, 2003 4:42 pm

Absolutely correct. My stick built home did not have six inch exterior walls. My stick built home of 15 years ago cost $75,000 plus the land (but including well, septic, full basement, ). My cost was effected by the 16" oc for the floor joists, roof trusses, 5/8 T & G plywood sub flooring, 1/2" drywall, an A/C-heat pump system that worked (unlike this Coleman I now cannot get to work), 2 car oversized attached garage, atiic space with lights and electric... I'll stop there. Yes, in theory MHs are wonderful. However, some manufacturers spend thousands of dollars just locating the cheapest usable materials that they can get away with, and workmanship that is that of a toddler with his first mallot in hand.Those same 'manufacturers' will tell you about their company, all of the wonderful things which 'they' think their company stands for, etc. In reality you just fell for their line and bought their MH which was never fully inspected by anyone, will never be repaired under warranty by competent repair persons, let alone repaired to the 'standards' which the MH was supposed to be manufactured too. And YES there are the 'same' in the stick built industry, however, those in the stick built industry can be held to a higher and better authority. The stick builder will all too quickly establish their reputation and will fall from good grace and thus bankruptcy. The MH manufacturer that preys on the uneducated MH buyer will conyinue in business as long as he tells HUD that the MH was built according to your 'codes'. Stick built homes must be built under certain 'codes' and those 'laws' which govern the industry in their jurisdiction.

Babs

Post by Babs » Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:13 pm

I am so glad that i have had nothing but good to say about my MH and my dealer.Richard i am sorry that you had such a bad experience with your home and dealer but not everyone has.If people can learn from your bad experience than that is good but i hope that it does not make people not look into buying one.There are alot of good and well built homes to choose from and some real good dealers.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:20 pm

We move homes of this age all the time...NO PROBLEM