Heating Question

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Margaret

Heating Question

Post by Margaret » Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:01 pm

I was very careful about our MH purchase in every detail except for one. I thought that we had gotten a heat pump/air conditioner. What we actually have is just an air conditioner. The heat is the furnace heater. Which of the following would you suggest is the most cost effective?:

a. Can I purchase just a heat pump without an air condition and use it with my current air conditioner?

b. Replace the air conditioner with a heat pump/air conditioner unit

c. Stick with what I have.

Myra

From what I've heard about heat pumps....sm

Post by Myra » Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:24 pm

you'd be better off to stick with what you have, IMO. I've heard that heat pumps don't actually do much heating. A good gas furnace, on the other hand, ....ahhhh!

Bill Fry

Re: From what I've heard about heat pumps....sm

Post by Bill Fry » Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:50 pm

When you use a heat pump it is using the same compressor the air condioner uses so you have heat and air.It is an energy saver over electric or gas heat.

To replace your system it would probably not be worth the replacement cost as all your other components are still new.Another consideration is that heat pump systems usually like overhead vents and this is not common in MF homes unless ordered that way
If you live in the south a heat pump is usually the way to go.
if..
Your house is well insulated and the compressor is the right size for the house.

Margaret

Thanks

Post by Margaret » Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:52 am

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it.

Mac Walker

Re: Thanks

Post by Mac Walker » Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:07 pm

In Tennessee, heat pumps are more effective than out here in Oregon. But I would just stay with what you have, particularly if you have gas heat, which seems to be less expensive (currently!).