questions

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

lou

questions

Post by lou » Sun Jan 05, 2003 5:34 pm

we put a down payment on vacant land, and have now found 2 fleetwood models that we like. approx price is 61-62,000. the dealer said it would cost approx for land/home package, delivery, well, septic, approx $1112,000
my question is can we negotiate on the purchase price, to lower the cost down so we can get into this loan amount? what can be negotiated on purchase price? also can we act as general contractor and hire our own well, septic, foundation person, and pay for it out of the loan amt? (would that also save on money)(i would prefer not to do this due to my husband has to be away on deployment (navy) for 6 months, i would not want to undertake this myself (food for thought however) also where can the dealer drop or cut prices to help in lowering the total price? one more question, i read a post by murray, something about closing cost " impossible where there is land involved" what does murray mean by this. thanks for all replies.

Pete

Re: questions

Post by Pete » Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:42 am

I wouldn't try to be a general contractor on this job unless you have years of experience in the home building trade. You'd be in way over your head.
I'm also finding the price on these manufactured homes is getting way up there. I've been looking and in my area of Florida I can get a new 3/2/2 cb home built for under $95,000. The same house as a manufactured home would be about the same when you add land, septic, garage, landscaping, ect, ect. I'm now looking at a modular design home to see if we can get the price down some.
Pete

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:24 am

You ask.."my question is can we negotiate on the purchase price?"....Yes everything is on the table...The best way to get the best price is to compare with more than 1 dealer...just be very careful you are comparing exactly the same items...

You asked "also can we act as general contractor and hire our own well, septic, foundation person, and pay for it out of the loan amt?"...Yes..most construction loans would allow this and many dealers would welcome this...but...even though you have not mentioned the price of the property...is seems you are in part of the country where land prep is very expensive and very involved...

You asked.."i read a post by murray, something about closing cost " impossible where there is land involved" what does murray mean by this"....Without more info...I even do not know what I meant...I would like the rest of the post or a reference to its location or date and I can go back and read it and fill in the blanks..Sorry if I confused you..

lou

Post by lou » Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:49 am

the property was $44,000. and i typoed the wrong amt, it should read $112,000. we do not have great credit, so are we at the dealers mercy? thanks for the posts so quickly.
also i have been reading all these posts, hours and hours of reading,
question is plywood better than osb? (i think on the floors)
question what is #20 vs #30 (i think on roofs)
question what is r-11 vs r22 ( i think insulation)
question what size water heater would be required to fill a garden tub. and can you upgrade to get a larger water heater.

i guess i was one of those that only looker for the price of home and the prettyness of the models. boy was i wrong.

John

Post by John » Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:03 pm

You said the property was 44K and the entire package is 112 so the house set with septic and well is 68K. Additional costs are driveway, landscaping and deck. Make sure the well has the pump, tank and filters needed to meet health code. It is so easy for someone to say they got a better price but you have to compare equals. I can get an acre of land for $1000 or closer in for $100,000 so the total package will not even be close and when someone said they can get a cb for $95,000 you just can't compare the two without knowing what they are getting. The cost of most MH is at least 25% below custom and many times much more than that.
I am not in the business but am shopping but will offer this, choose your dealer as carefully as you choose your home and if the best dealer is a little more expensive, he will save you in the end. A well built home can be a nightmare if the dealer does not do it correctly and the finest home can be destroyed by a careless dealer.
The best loan rates go to the best risk so if your credit is less than perfect you will pay higher interest but that does not mean you need to be taken advantage of, shop for a mortgage yourself and than see what the dealer can offer.
#20 if roof material which means 20 pound and the higher the number the heavier the material same with R factor for insullation. Plywood is considered the best but there is nothing wrong with OSB. I would stay away from novadeck but thats just my opinion. I think most water heaters are 40 gallon and if space permits don't see whay it couldn't be upgraded.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:23 pm

The web master will be happy...This is what these forums are all about....Education...The more you know...the better descision you can make...The better experience you will have..

1)question is plywood better than osb? (i think on the floors)
OSB and plywood both have their fans..both are good..OSB is a little less expensive....Just do not get the pressboard NOVODECK that is standard in the models you mentioned..

2)..question what is #20 vs #30 (i think on roofs)...these are roof snow loads...obviously a #30 roof is 50% stronger than #20...Kinda depends on your location...In the deep south #30 would be a waste of money...In some areas #30 is mandated by law...

3)..question what is r-11 vs r22 ( i think insulation)
There are 3 places for insulation...roof, side walls and floor...You cannot spend too much more on energy efficiency....Good roof insulation would be R-30,...R-11 is the most you can get into 2x4 side walls...but if the walls are 2x6..you can fit R-19...Minimum in the floor should be R-22..

4)..question what size water heater would be required to fill a garden tub. and can you upgrade to get a larger water heater.
"Garden Tubs" are all different sizes...Many are actually no larger than regular tubs...Usually 40 gallon water heaters are good...but some factories offer 50 gallon for a small additional cost...Just remember..to big costs a lot of energy to maintain..and might not be worth the extra electric costs..

lou

Post by lou » Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:17 am

thank you all so much, i had no idea you would answer questions so very fast! this is a great site. thanks for the break down, i (very layman) have begun to understand these terms. i went to another dealership last nite, and i asked to see warranties, he said he did not have them. i asked for base prices and he said he would have to look them up, he did not know, i asked for spec sheets and info of construction and was given a general sheet of paper that basically says words like durability and stability, nothing on specifics of lumber, insulation etc. i was not comfortable with him at all. however, on the plus side to them the secretary was more than helpful she knew the answers to most of my questions, he did not even know the plant that the homes were from. these homes were also more expensive with nothing included. i know i have to look at a lot when comparing prices. but he still seemed to be higher in price. will check more dealers tonight. again thanks so much for the info.!!!