aluminum wiring

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Patrick O'Neill

aluminum wiring

Post by Patrick O'Neill » Sun Jan 05, 2003 7:54 am

My mother lives in a 1978 mobile home. She has her home for sale, and has received several questions as to whether it is wired with aluminum wiring. Her mobile home information is as follows:
Model: Colonial
Make: Vintage
ID #: CG12570
Yr. model: 1978
Is there any posibility that this mobile home was built using aluminum wiring? I have seen through research on the Internet that aluminum wiring was used 1965-1973 but may also have been used later.
Any information provided would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Patrick O'Neill

Roy Bonney

Re: aluminum wiring

Post by Roy Bonney » Sun Jan 05, 2003 10:07 am

Aluminum wire has not been used since the early seventies, but all you have to do is remove the entrance panal cover and see the wiring.

roscella palmer

Post by roscella palmer » Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:15 pm

If aluminum wiring has not been used since the 70's then please explain to me why my 1997 redman home has aluminum wiring instead of copper wiring. recently as a week before xmas we had an incident in our home where by the wires started to arc in the panel box on the main breaker....after have an electrician come in for repair we discoverd that we had aluminm wire and no oxi had been used to secure the wire. I would like to know if aluminum wire was used on the mobile home and was not supposed to be what can be done about it and can anyone be held responsible.
Thanking you in advance.....Roscella

the refiman

Post by the refiman » Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:48 pm

It is quite common for aluminum wireing to be used on the service side of the electrical pannel. In other words the service that comes into the home from the pole or the outside breaker box(for parks). If you look inside the pannel box inside your home you will see aluminum on one side and copper on the other. This is normal.

If you have aluminum coming into your home you can request that the park or electric company replace it. However almost all service connections from the power comanies are aluminum regardless of weather or not you live in a manufactured home or a site built home.

Good Luck,

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:26 am

This wire did not come with the home...it was installed by the electricain who hooked up the home..This is common...but could have been done in copper at extra cost...