Windzone Specs

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
Mike Boudreaux

Windzone Specs

Post by Mike Boudreaux » Mon Jul 22, 2002 2:17 am

What are the materials used for Windzone 2 versus Windzone 3?

Can you tell me the difference in the 2 windzone requirements? I was told that Windzone 3 puts more straps AND uses OSB around the whole exerior home as opposed to Wind 2 that uses OSB only on corners and rest is backboard.

What is better material? OSB, backboard? I live in hurricane area Louisiana and we requested Windzone 3 but don't think we got proper materials.

rmurray

Re: Windzone Specs

Post by rmurray » Mon Jul 22, 2002 5:00 am

The HUD code is a performance based code...not a specific construction code..

If the plant ceritfies that the home is Wind Zone 3 home...It MUST meet the preformance criteria required by the code...There are substancial differences in the minimum requirements for zone 1,2 and 3...Anchoring is only one of them...

Each manufacturer has different ways of meeting the requirements...It would be impossible to tell you if OSB wrap is one of the improvements that a manufacturer deems necessary to meet the code..

There is no question the best built homes all have a full osb wrap...no matter what wind zone they are built for...

Your data plate...(sealed paper pasted on the wall in the utility room, on cabinet door or in bedroom closet...) will show the designation of the home you have gotten....If you have a zone 3...you could not miss the extra anchors...some units have over 100 and are attached on all 4 sides of the home...not just 2 sides..

If you have a concern that you may have gotten something other than you ordered...call the factory and ask if it is zone 3...they will not lie about this...

I hope you have this in your written documentation....there will be only 1 way to fix an error here and that is to replace the home...something your dealer will resist to the very end..

Mike Boudreaux

Post by Mike Boudreaux » Mon Jul 22, 2002 12:43 pm

We have the sheet glued to the door with All 3 windzones checked.

I have a printout from factory indicating the options that we have on our home.

The factory is shut down.....the one in Lexington or SC???? I don't know where next factory is. OR who has paperwork maybe TEXAS?????

mikeboudreaux

Post by mikeboudreaux » Mon Jul 22, 2002 2:51 pm

What should I do???? We have sealed paper inside cabinet indicating Wind 3.

Also have printout of sheet with list of options we chose upon ordering mobile home.

r murray

Post by r murray » Mon Jul 22, 2002 4:21 pm

If the data plate indicates wind zone 3 you probably have one..Which factory is this home from?...When was it built?...

I do not know of a plant from Lexington, SC....

If the home is certified wind zone 3...it seems that you got what you had expected...

mikeboudreaux

Post by mikeboudreaux » Mon Jul 22, 2002 8:33 pm

Plant 25 in Lexington MS perhaps. It just closed down 11/99 or so.

2000 16 X 80 Fleetwood

Rachel

Post by Rachel » Thu Jul 25, 2002 8:39 pm

That would be MS. None such in SC.