adding foundation to existing d/w

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
karen

adding foundation to existing d/w

Post by karen » Sat Jun 08, 2002 7:16 pm

I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on adding a foundation to an existing d/w home.
My husband and I are about to close on a d/w home that is skirted around the bottom. We would really like to have it on a cement/brick foundation. I have heard that once you move an existing home it can cause problems with cracking walls/pipes so on and so fourth.
My question is this. Would it be possible to have someone come in and place a foundation under the home where the skirting is without moving the home to do so? I would love to hear any comments you may have on this subject.
The reason we would like to do this is due to the fact that the home is in a very rural area and there are lots of critters that I don't want getting under the home and destroying anything.
Again, thank you for any and all responses.

rmurray

Re: adding foundation to existing d/w

Post by rmurray » Sun Jun 09, 2002 4:14 am

Most brick or block underpinnig you see is not part of the foundation..It is only underpinning and can be added for your purposes with out any problem..

In the SE...were the gound has little or no frost heave...the blovk or brick is often laid directly on the ground...This save money and serves the purpose..

The preferred method would involve a footing poured under the frost level..Then block or brick applied..Still easy to do as a retro fit..

One thing to remember..make sure they use enough vents..

Karen

Post by Karen » Sun Jun 09, 2002 7:55 am

Thank you for your response. I should have mentioned that we are also trying to avoid settleing. At this point we are unsure how the home is 'supported'. Our inspection is tomorrow (Monday). The home is a 2000 model. Would you know if they put cement under the supports to avoid settleing?
Thank you again for your help.

Karen

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Sun Jun 09, 2002 12:04 pm

If they did you should be able to see the footers under the piers of block..Retro fitting the whole foundation would be a major job..

To put the home on a perimeter foundation would be possible but VERY costly..Adding comcrete footers is also possible but sorta expensive..