Do I need new piers?

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Theflyinggiraffe

Do I need new piers?

Post by Theflyinggiraffe » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:02 am

HI, thank you so much for any insight! I have a 1994 single wide. One side of the home is about 12 inches off the ground and the other side is about 4 feet (sloped lot). The part that is several feet off the ground has old piers on top of 2 sets of two cement blocks (about 1 inch x 12 inch) and then there is about an 8-10 inch piece of wood on top of pier and the home is sitting upon it. Around the perimeter, I can fit my fist in between the perimeter piers and the home-they are just under the insulation and not touching anything other than bellywrap. There are no tie downs. Is this safe? Is it worth $2700 to get the home on the FHA approved piers and anchoring system? Thank you!

vancleef

Re: Do I need new piers?

Post by vancleef » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:13 am

Personally, since I am in California and tie-downs are rather important, I would immediately call three or four manufactured home service companies for a quote to;
a) inspect the foundation
b) replace or adjust all piers as needed
c) install anchors
d) level the unit

If you live in an area with high-wind issues (tornado, severe thunderstorms, hurricanes) or earthquake risk (California), anchors are really, really important. Given that you live on a slope, I would suggest that they just might be critical.

Also, after you get the quotes, talk with your neighbors.
1) get their opinions about the various vendors
2) see if they might want to join you in attempting to get a per-unit discount for more than one home.

Sorry for the late response, but I just joined this forum.

Theflyinggiraffe

Re: Do I need new piers?

Post by Theflyinggiraffe » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:01 pm

Thank you very much! I really appreciate your guidance.

I had a couple of bids and went with the xi2 (?) Tie down system (last one installed earlier today!) And the guys are also ripping out old skirting, framing under home, adding 4 inch foam insulation, tyvek and then new T 1 11 skirting. I am beyond thrilled with the progress this far. I even ran pillows through washer/spin cycle and my home didn't shake!! The guys confirmed that home was siding down the hillside in a Colorado mountain town with tons of snow, so pretty happy to get this started now. Thanks again!