Contractors

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Kathiebronx

Contractors

Post by Kathiebronx » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:25 pm

Hello,

This is all new to me. My daughter and her family bought a home in a very rural area ( Melrose, FL) and I live in the tiny single wide trailer the first owners' lived in while the house was being built. The house was built around the trailer. I estimate the trailer to be at least 20 years old. It needs a complete overhaul. Everything that was used, from the sinks to the carpet, were of the cheapest and poorest quality. Also I have a budget and don't want to go overboard.

My question is this: Can a contractor who works on "stick" houses also work on mobile homes? This area has lots of mobile homes so I'm assuming either there are special mobile home contractors or the stick home contractors do work on mobile homes.

I am a 75 year old senior citizen and would rather contract out the work I need done than ask my family who are busy people and just opened a new retail business. Where do I start. I have no problem with decorating ideas; but lots of storage problems.

I would appreciate any help this forum can give me. Thank you.

David Oxhandler

Re: Contractors

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:12 pm

Melrose is a beautiful and very peaceful area. Manufactured housing was the primary housing type for decades in North Central Florida. As a result most competent home renovators in the area have had experience with manufactured homes. Any residential contractor can take care of your renovations. Be sure to use someone that is licensed

If you find that you need components unique to manufactured homes there are several specialty suppliers in the region. I am just south of Ocala and buy specialty components from the Surplus Shop in Belleview, Florida. Phone(352) 245-4640. If you have difficulties finding the right contractor give them a call and ask them if they can recommend someone in your neighborhood.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

rmurray

Re: Contractors

Post by rmurray » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:55 pm

Melrose, Florida is a delightful place to retire.
Even though the original materials were " Everything that was used were of the cheapest and poorest quality.", they made for inexpensive safe housing for over 20 years. Even the highest quality often unaffordable masterpieces of components would have to be updated after 20 years. Take David's advise to get a good referral from the Surplus House.

Good Luck with your project.