chair rail removal or paint

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Ann2010

chair rail removal or paint

Post by Ann2010 » Wed May 08, 2013 4:54 pm

Hi. First time posting, but I have enjoyed reading the posts.

I am in the process of purchasing a previously owed single wide, 1987 Polaron model. I am planning to remove the strips on the walls and mud and tape the joints and paint the walls.

The walls also have a chair rail molding that sort of looks like wood but might be plastic. The same molding is used at floor and ceiling. I have searched the forums and have not seen any reference to these. They are a shade of blue that does not match anything I own :)

My questions are :
1. Does anyone know if these are paintable?
2. Any thoughts on removing the chair rail? How much damage it might cause to the walls?

Thanks.
Ann

David Oxhandler

Re: chair rail removal or paint

Post by David Oxhandler » Thu May 09, 2013 9:06 am

Removing the chair rail will leave some nail holes. You might even find that the dry wall panels were cut and butted together behind the chair rail... but if you are going to mud and tape all the joints the additional work will be minimal and the results can be a much more modern look.

Everything is paintable with the right type of paint. If you want to experiment try painting a small section of trim in one of the closets. If the paint seems to not adhere take a small section of the trim to your paint supplier for their best recommendation.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

Ann2010

Post by Ann2010 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:30 pm

Thanks. I didn't even think about taking a sample to the paint store. After I close on the MH next week I'll get in there and see what's what.
Ann

Ann2010

Post by Ann2010 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:49 pm

update: I removed the chair rail and the walls are fine behind where it was, just nail holes. I also removed all the battens and taping starts this week. It looks so much better already. On my way to 'real' walls!

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:02 pm

Congratulations !!!

Enjoy customizing your home. The rewards will be well worth your effort.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]