Adding new sub-floor over old particle board

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
williambrady

Re: Adding new sub-floor over old particle board

Post by williambrady » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:20 am

Help me please!

1sttimedw_owner

Re: Adding new sub-floor over old particle board

Post by 1sttimedw_owner » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:34 am

I just bought a 1991 doublewide that has sat vacant for 6 years. It was winterized. It's very cold inside the doublewide right now. I ripped up the bubbled up vinyl throughout the main living areas and the carpet out of the master bedroom. I'm assuming the sub-floor is particle board. (I'm not familiar with terms, but are the support beams under the sub-floor called, "joists?") The sub-floor seems to dip in between all of the joists. The floor is higher above the joists and then is lower in between them. I have not got a heat source in the place yet. My first thought was to tear up all of the sub-floor and put new down, but an inspector said that the sub-floor was glued to the joists and that I would run the risk of tearing them up and I don't want to do that! He suggested just buying plywood and using 4x8 sheets all over the sub-floor and 4x4 sheets in places and that I should put it right over the moisture barrier and sub-floor. Then, put in my flooring.

I thought that I could use the moisture barrier stuff and then install my flooring right over that, but since the sub-floor is so unlevel, I shouldn't do it that way.

Any suggestions?