Rotten I Beams on 14 year old trailer

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
[email protected]

Rotten I Beams on 14 year old trailer

Post by [email protected] » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:50 pm

I have a friend selling their 1994 Marlette mobile home it is not on a cement slab it is on dirt in NH. There is severe rust on the i beam and the support beams rusted completely off.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to fix? Is this still under warranty?

rmurray

Re: Rotten I Beams on 14 year old trailer

Post by rmurray » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:39 pm

Warranty is LONG over..

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:24 pm

The warranty on the home expired long ago.

If the steel frame has rusted through in places there has been some source of moisture in contact with the frame. You have to stop the moisture or the frame will continue to rust. Figure out where the water is coming from and stop it. It could be from rain drainage or a leaky plumbing system.

Frame damage can almost always be repaired. Most frame repairs involve cutting out and replacing damaged sections of steel. It is critical that who ever handles the job has a clear understanding of manufactured home installation. In order to replace weight bearing sections temporary support must be correctly placed. The person most likely to have experience would be a local licensed Manufactured Installer who has been relocating pre-owned homes,

Whenever you have welding or cutting tools under a manufactured home you run a high fire risk. You must have a designated fireman. This person drags a live hose under the home staying as close to the action as possible. He/she watches and drenches any small fires before they become threatening.

This is not a good do-it-yourself project. Find the right contractor! Come back and let us know how it goes.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

trmimo

Post by trmimo » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:25 am

Does the home have a porch or a deck? I have found those to be the worst causes of frame rust. They pretty much act like a funnel to push rain water under the home. The under side of any porch or deck should be isolated from the rest of the crawl space with plastic sheeting or some other water proof material to keep water from running under the home.