Can I use a conventional house tub/ shower?

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
larslawson

Can I use a conventional house tub/ shower?

Post by larslawson » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:35 am

Hi. I searched through all the posts and didn't see this asked before.
I would like to replace both of our bathroom tubs, one with a 54"X 27" walk in shower and the other with a 60" X whatever size bubbling bathtub. I understand that the mobile home drain is above the floor and will have to re-do the bubbling tub drain lines completely from a center drain to a left hand drain. I will rip the entire floor out and do that this fall. My question is this, if I use a conventional house shower pan and bubbling tub, can I simply build the floor up to raise the floor to set the tub and shower on? The reason I would like to use a conventional house tub is the variety of styles and features is much greater than a mobile home supply store (plus they are less expensive!).

Thank you for reading and hopefully responding! Carl

David Oxhandler

Re: Can I use a conventional house tub/ shower?

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:02 pm

Carl -

The modern manufactured home is framed to the same standards as most site framed homes. The typical homes built today has 2x6 exterior walls that are over-layered with plywood and then siding-backer and siding.

The floor systems are typical 2x8 stringers with plywood decking. Any installation that would be reasonable in a site framed home will probably be exactly the same. If you know how to reroute the plumbing and have done this type renovation project with the right pre-planing it should not be difficult.

The Manual for Manufactured Home Repair & Upgrade describes techniques and practices specific to manufactured homes. This book will also show you how to maintain your home and great methods for upgrading it.

You can DOWNLOAD "The Manual" in easy to read PDF e-book format, and be reading it in 90 seconds.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

larslawson

Post by larslawson » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:38 am

My home is a 1978 Fleetwood. It does have 2X8 stringers. Did the builder's of mobile homes make the drain pipes above the floor so they wouldn't freeze or simply because it is easier to make them that way? Thanks for all your advice in all the posts I have read!

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:14 am

I have never seen plumbing above the floor in any manufactured home. The plumbing is generally built into the floor system, just under the floor decking but above the insulation. The plumbing is on the warm side of the insulation to help prevent freezing.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

larslawson

Post by larslawson » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:26 am

Right. I worded it wrong. I decided to use the existing drain and put the shower pan in on a riser. The total step up is 7 or 8 inches which is much better than the old tub it replaced. After I ripped the paneling and particle board flooring off, I realized I was in for a lot more work than I had hoped. It isn't finished yet, but will definitely be the strongest room in the house! Ha!!! I will post again as I near completion. Thanks for all the advice!

trmimo

Post by trmimo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:11 am

When you choose your tub, measure your doors first. The biggest limiting factor in replacing a tub in either a site built or manufactured home is what you can actually get into the bathroom.

larslawson

Post by larslawson » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:53 am

I already bought a fiberglass step in shower base. I had to build a platform for it to sit on since I didn't want to cut and re-route the drain pipe, plus it gets cold here in the winter. Slowly but surely the bathroom is taking shape!

rowdysmith

Post by rowdysmith » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:05 am

My mother used Walk In Tub for bathing purpose and she is very pleased with the quality.