1993 Skyline 28 x 48

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
yogabill

1993 Skyline 28 x 48

Post by yogabill » Wed May 02, 2012 6:26 pm

I have an outside outlet that just stopped working. My meter tells me there is no power coming into it. My panel only has 6 circuits but none of them are labeled for the outside outlet. The outlet is located just below the outlet for the washer on the inside. Do you think these are connected. Looks like there is an incoming and outgoing wires but no idea where it goes to. Any suggestions?

David Oxhandler

Re: 1993 Skyline 28 x 48

Post by David Oxhandler » Wed May 02, 2012 7:13 pm

Your exterior and wet area electric receptacles must be run through a ground fault interrupter (GFI) breaker.

A GFI breaker is much more subtle that the standard circuit breaker. A normal 120-volt outlet in the United States has two vertical slots and then a round hole centered below them. The left slot is slightly larger than the right. The left slot is called "neutral," the right slot is called "hot" and the hole below them is called "ground."

If an appliance is working properly, all electricity that the appliance uses will flow from hot to neutral. A GFI breaker monitors the amount of current flowing from hot to neutral. If there is any imbalance, it trips the circuit. It is able to sense a mismatch as small as 4 or 5 milliamps, and it can react as quickly as one-thirtieth of a second. This protects you from accidental shock or worse electrocution.

In North America, GFI receptacles are usually built into a receptacle which can be mixed with regular outlets with a standard cover plate. GFI circuit breakers for panel boards are less common in residential applications in the U.S., due to higher cost.

In most manufactured homes you will find a funny looking receptacle with buttons on it, in one of the bathrooms. This is a GFI breaker built into a recept. It will look something like this
Find it and press the reset button.

Let us know if that corrected the problem.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

yogabill

Re: 1993 Skyline 28 x 48

Post by yogabill » Wed May 02, 2012 7:37 pm

David,
Thanks for the reply. I did some more checking around and found that the GFCI in the bathroom was connected to the outside outlet and that the outside outlet was bad thus tripping the GFCI. Great forum.