Re: my double wide MH halves are separating!

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
marsha

Post by marsha » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:22 pm

I have lived in my MH for 8 mths.in Wash.State last FEB.I heard a big bang, it shook my MH.About 2 mths.later i was noticing cracks in my walls,my ceiling drooping,my carpet buldging,my floors r tilting in every different direction.

One half of the MH is on slab the other half is on dirt,NO tie downs on marriage line,it is separating,the screws are weakened,is it safe to live in it like it is??

The roof has a 60lb weight on it the old roofing wasn't removed thr trusses have seperated all the way through the MH,in the mean time my ceilings are bowing and the marriage line is un supported of 52 feet.What needs to be done??

And is it save to live in the way it is with the snow around the corner???

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:24 pm

Marsha -

Placing half the home on a slab and half in soil is not a good practice. All structures settle over time. There is no way the halves could have settled evenly. My best guess is you will find the half set on the ground has settled way more than the half on the slab. It could be that the difference is so extreme as to be able to pull the sections apart.

You need professional help. Mobile home installation is now a licensed trade in every state. Try to get three or four installer to come out and offer you an estimate as to what it will cost to re-level the home. Ask each what they would propose to slow the settlement.

The solution depends on many things.
the soil type and density below the home the climate you live in the manufacturers original installation directions local building code. what if any damage has been sustained by the home.

Is the home safe to live in? It is impossible to tell from here. The longer you wait the more the home will settle and the more it can cost to make it right. Think about how much it has changed in a few months and what it might look like in a few more if it continues to change at the same rate. Winter is close. Get some prices very soon.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

Ronna

finding someone that can re-level my mobile home

Post by Ronna » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:15 pm

I an having a very hard time finding anyone that does re-leveling!Where should I be looking?

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:05 pm

Contact your local building permit authority for a list of licensed manufactured home installers
David Oxhandler
[email protected]