re-routing existing drains & water lines to replace tub with a shower bigger then a coffin

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Cheryl Green

re-routing existing drains & water lines to replace tub with a shower bigger then a coffin

Post by Cheryl Green » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:31 am

We own a 97 manufractured home and the master bath is just HORRIBLE. First off, why carpet over particle board?!! Anyway, all of the drains are tied into one line and there is an air vent under the garden tub that has the possibility of leaking methane into the bathroom. I want to rip out the tub and the shower and have it make more sense. The problem is re-routing the water and drain. The drain at the existing shower location is a 3" and the tub is a 2". I would love to re-do a false wall where the tub currently is and create a walk in shower in its place. Doing that would take away having to go take apart my closet if I have a leak in the shower. Will a 2" drain be big enough?

Also, when they designed these homes, were they drunk? :-)

David Oxhandler

Re: re-routing existing drains & water lines to replace tub with a shower bigger then a coffin

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:05 am

Auto-vents do not leak methane. They are installed above the trap (the U shaped part of the drian) The trap holds water that prevents the bad smell (and methane) from backing into the home. You can not just abandon the auto-vent, with out replacing it with some type of venting system, or water will not flow down your drain.

See our article archive
What is A Plumbing Check Vent?
Replacing or Repairing a Bathtub Drain

The size of the drain pipe is dictated by how much water will be forced through it at a time. If you are purchasing a shower kit the drian system they provide will work.

For the best selections of walk in shower kits visit The Mobile Home Parts Store

Carpet over particle board is just plain silly. Carpeted bath rooms were a good selling pint in the late 80's and early 90's. Quality builders have abandoned particle board floor decking.

If they were drinking I would be very disappointed....no one offered to share with me....
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

dragonfur

Re: re-routing existing drains & water lines to replace tub with a shower bigger then a coffin

Post by dragonfur » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:08 am

I've been wanting to do exactly the same thing to my garden tub! It's rarely used, and it takes 6 to 8 hours to drain when it is used, so I'm wondering what they did (maybe leave out that vent) to make it drain so slowly. Haven't looked under the tub yet, because the project is a while away still.
I also intend to rip out the existing shower, add a little more room to the toilet stall (the shower door opens right next to the toilet, meaning if someone is sitting, the wet one can't get out without a squeeze and dripping on the throne!), and making what's left into a linen closet.
I've learned that mobile home manufacturers do NOT think about storage--other than kitchen cabinets, and sometimes not much of that--when designing these things.
What folks need to remember, all those cheap, irritating things you hate in your mobile home are why you didn't pay $150,000+ for it!

martinclukey

Re: re-routing existing drains & water lines to replace tub

Post by martinclukey » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:11 am

I have had public shower baths, game rooms, and living quarters for all the people of preserving and emphasizing rather than transforming shower filters many existing plants were re-arranged in more natural groupings. Thanks