Removing Windows Totally

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
BarbP

Removing Windows Totally

Post by BarbP » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:54 am

We are in process of buying a manufactured home (circa 1989). It's on a concrete foundation (stemwall), in very good condition, etc. The former owners built a detached addition that wraps around one end of the manufactured home. This addition needs interior finishing, which we'll have done.

The end of the manufactured home that is wrapped around includes the master bath, which has 2 windows over the garden tub. These windows are now "obsolete" because they don't look out onto anything or bring in any light. They face the exterior of the addition which is only inches away. Actually, they will face foam insulation that is going to go between the 2 buildings.

We'd like to remove those windows completely and just have plain walls above the garden tub. What would be the best way to go about this -- is there anything we need to consider in terms of removing the windows, and what should we use to make plain walls there ... can we use drywall or does it have to be something else?

The windows are not big ones. One is octagonal shaped, the other is rectangular and rather narrow.

David Oxhandler

Re: Removing Windows Totally

Post by David Oxhandler » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:46 am

If the addition is only inches away from the existing exterior of the windows you may have some difficulty removing the windows. Windows in most homes of that vintage were installed from the outside of the home as it rolled down the assembly line. The window units have a flange that laps over the exterior of the home that has a few dozen screws holding it in place. Unless you can reach all the screws you will have a difficult time removing the windows.

You can strip off the interior window trim, stuff the opening with insulation and patch the interior opening with sheetrock. In that case you will need to repaint the walls to make everything match.

When I'm trying to create a better look inside a manufactured home I try to give negative space a positive look. Here are a few ideas to make your bathroom unique.

The home I live in is an '84 Fleetwood doublewide, that we married to an existing block home. The window in the master bath ended up snug up to the block wall. I stuffed the window opening with about 2 inches of insulation. This should be plenty considering your going to install foam between the sections. Then we framed for and inset a piece of mirror about half way into the window opening. Once the mirror was recessed into the window opening we added a few 2 inch deep shelves about 1/3 and 2/3 down the mirror. This creates an outstanding looking feature in the bath where my wife stands small bottles and colored soaps.

There is also lots of mirror art available. For the hex window I would insulate the window opening and overlay with stained glass or mirror ... Something like the hex picture below. If someone in your family has the talent you can buy an inexpensive pieces of mirror and let them paint a custom design over it to cover each window opening.

David Oxhandler
[email protected]

BarbP

Post by BarbP » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:46 pm

Thank you for the helpful information and the great ideas!

Actually, at this point, we CAN remove the windows from the outside, because we can reach them easily between the studs, all that area is still open.

And I really love your suggestions for using mirrors in those window areas, or to cover them.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:32 pm

Mirrors can make can create a huge impact on any part of your home. Mirrors can amplify light and make rooms seem larger. When you hang one, look to see what it reflects and how it changes the feel of the room. Picking a mirror brings logic and art together.

There has been quiet a bit written about mirror placement. Here are a few good articles that you can read online:

How to Use Mirrors in Decor
All About Mirrors
Wall Mirrors - Reflecting Your Style.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]