recalled coleman evcon gas furnace

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
mbt3000

recalled coleman evcon gas furnace

Post by mbt3000 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:10 pm

Hello. I have a 1996 Belmont MH. It has a Coleman Evcon gas furnace that has been acting strange since I started using it. It has an intermittent problem. It has been recalled. I spoke with a representative for the recall program. He said it does need inspected. I told him about it acting strange. He said that problem would have to be fixed first out of pocket before inspection can be done. The program involves a free inspection and replacement of the heat exchanger or an upgrade kit. It's funny how they want me to pay to have the behavior problem fixed out of pocket, then they will inspect it. After all, the upgrade could be what is causing the strange behavior. I need help. Are they trying to mess me around?

David Oxhandler

Re: recalled coleman evcon gas furnace

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:14 pm

Here is what we know about this recall....

The heat exchangers of some Coleman®, Coleman® Evcon, and Red T gas furnaces have been found to overheat in certain circumstances, which can lead to a failure of the heat exchanger and the furnace. What You Should Know Is This Condition Dangerous? It’s never good for the internal components of a furnace—or any appliance or electrical device—to run hotter than the temperatures they were designed to handle. The problem has been traced to differences in installation, application factors and variations in components. These situations, if left unresolved, can lead to significant property damage, personal injury or death. You should have your furnace inspected if it is one of the models listed below. How Do I Know If My Furnace Is Affected? The Coleman®, Coleman® Evcon, and Red T furnaces are used in manufactured housing. On these furnaces the name plate is found mounted on the left inside surface behind the lower panel. The furnaces are a silver color with white access panels. (see photos below) DGAM075BDDDGAM075BDEDGAM075BDF DGAT070BDDDGAT070BDEDGAT070BDF DGAT075BDDDGAT075BDEDGAT075BDF DLAS075BDDDLAS075BDEDLAS075BDF Front-View of furnace Data Tag View These units were manufactured between 1995 and 2000 and used only in manufactured housing. My Furnace Is Affected, What Should I Do? Call a participating Coleman® Authorized Service Center in your area for a FREE inspection of your furnace. Use the locator tool featured on the upper right corner of this page. A qualified technician will give your furnace a thorough inspection and will install an upgrade kit, or new heat exchanger and adjust your furnace free of charge. Do I Need a New Furnace? No. The upgrade is simple and easy to make. Once it is complete, you will have a furnace that runs within design limits. Will This Void My Warranty? No. Any warranty on your furnace is still valid. Who can I contact if I have more questions? Contact the Program Support Center at (888) 665-4640.

Source http://www.dgatprogram.com/

As they are compelled to make an inspection if your furnace is included (above) I would call again and not mention the problem your experiencing. When there is a recall the company feels that it has serious liability because of a problem that is obviously their fault. I personally would not use the furnace or do anything to it 'till it is inspected and recertified safe.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

esnoel

Post by esnoel » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:30 pm

Hey. My coleman evcon furnace is on this recall but has already been up graded. The problem with it now is when i set it to heat and it fires up it will stay lit for about 30 sec. but the blower will not come on. the blower comes on when the ac is on but not when it is set to heat.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:59 pm

The blower in the a/c cycle will come on as soon as the a/c turns on BUT during the heat cycle there will be a delay of a short while to allow the air in the heater to heat up. There is a thermometer (called a limit switch) inside the heater that will only turn on the blower when the air inside has heated up. The delay will vary from unit to unit but a 30sec to 1 minute delay would not be unusual. If you still think something mught be wrong with it call you qualified technician usually working with the company you buy your fuel (gas) from.

esnoel

Post by esnoel » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:32 pm

I understand that there will be a delay but it completely shuts off. As in the blower never turns on at all. There is a heat up process but no air movement after it is heated up.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:36 am

It sounds like the thermostat is doing its defective. The fan should be set to come on when a set heat point is reached and if it wont turn on the furnace should shut down so it wont overheat or cause a fire

Call who ever did your upgrade or to find a Coleman Authorized service center in your area that can repair your furnace, go to http://www.dgatprogram.com/ Look on the right side of the page enter your ZIP code in this box and then click the Find button. The name and contact info for the closest repair center will appear below the form fields
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

grasstango

Post by grasstango » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:25 pm

Hi There we too have a problem with Our coleman model #dgato75bdd. it too has been recalled. we bought Our mobile last october and when we moved in the gas was on but the furnace just made a humming sound. Then my father inlaw pushed the reset and she was running. we had the furnace running on a cool night in august and was fine. Now today we went to put it on and sure enough it was just humming again. I called the gas company and everything was fine on there end. I called up coleman and told them what was up. The lady said its a 1996 and the warrenty is already done. she said to call for a free inspection and someone would come out. I asked if she could not do it. she said No thats for you to do. Nice custumer service!!!!!!! NOT. anyway she said in order for them to inspect it, it had to be running and I would have to pay out of pocket. Okay if this is a saftey recall should they not do it for free? even if its not running? Has anyone else had this problem with this model? and another thing on our furnace it says 1993. the lady at colemen said its a 96 but when I asked why on the sticker with all the numbers it clearly says 1993. she would not say anthing after this. My wife is afraid of this furnace now, and wants a new one. if we do get a new one will stay away from coleman and get one with a much better warrenty. i have checked all the breakers. Pushed in the reset and she will just hum. Hope someone out there can help us with thsi

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:28 pm

I do not think going to the link in the above post bgy David and finding an authorized dealer in your area to do a FREE inspection and upgrade if needed is too much effort for you to do for a 13 year old furnace that you did not buy new.. follow the link above and make arrangements to have your furnace inspected asap.

kevin

Post by kevin » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:44 pm

check the vent blower motor to see if it's running.mine was huming,but the motor wasn't turning the fan.

arpitkakkar1

Post by arpitkakkar1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:23 am

Do you have home furnace, What the use of furnace in home? Furnace is used to isolated from the fuel and give information about the research samples. these type of furnace called muffle furnace which are mostly used in research labs and hospitals.