Replace metal skirting (with hardy board) before painting exterior?

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
David Oxhandler

Re: Replace metal skirting (with hardy board) before painting exterior?

Post by David Oxhandler » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:14 am

All skirting systems MUST be vented to prevent moisture build up under your home. Excessive moisture will lead to mold, mildew and conditions that could possibly make your home unsafe to live in. The amount of venting depends on the climate and soil conditions where you live. For example in our area skirting vent openings must have a net area of not less than one square foot for each 100 square feet of under floor area. Vent openings must be located as close to corners and as high as practical, and must provide cross ventilation on at least two opposite sides. Check with your local building permitting department or your state's manufactured housing association for the necessary ventilation required in your location See the photo below for an example of a vent in concrete skirting.

In the extreme North contractors have been adding insulation to skirting with an appreciable results in keeping homes warmer in the winter... but I agree with Mr. Murray The prime insulation should be in the floor to maintain your budget and the comfort zone inside of the home. You might want to consider replacing any missing insulation or adding to the existing floor insulation

We usually install rolled insulation from below... Rolled fiberglass insulation has plenty of air space included in it. I like to use the highest R value, thickest, rolled, insulation I can fit into the space between the bottom of the floor joist and the floor decking, with our crushing it. Once the insulation is in place you can purchase rolled vapor barrier material called Bottom Board by MH repair people and install it from below, stapling it to the bottom of the floor joist so it supports the insulation. You can find bottom board products at The Mobile Home Parts Store For details about installing insulation and important safety tips see How to Install Fiberglass Insulation and Crawl Space Insulation, from the U.S. Dept of Energy.

You can also view 3 VIDEOS: Adding Insulation To Your Manufactured Home from the U.S. Department of Energy...The footage displays two methods used by professional insulation contractors
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

Brenda

Re: Replace metal skirting (with hardy board) before painting exterior?

Post by Brenda » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:26 pm

The Hardiboard is not just a wood product. It is mostly concrete and so it works well in contact with the ground which a wood product would not. It is relatively easy to cut your holes for venting. It will last much longer than plywood or T-1-11, and weighs more due to the concrete in it. It doesn't bend when kicked and it won't blow away as easily. I like it.