Replacing rusty pipes with CPVC

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
sharpf

Re: Replacing rusty pipes with CPVC

Post by sharpf » Wed May 14, 2008 3:03 am

Hello David,

Please tell me if this is the connection I need for CPVC to copper pipe in water heater closet.

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52-33 ... 01536.aspx

Thanks

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Wed May 14, 2008 11:05 am

Is there a threaded end on the existing copper ???
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

sharpf

Post by sharpf » Wed May 14, 2008 2:24 pm

Yes David,

There is the female part on the end of the copper pipe coming from the water heater that is right now screwed onto the galvanized male threaded end of the house pipe.

I was concered because you had said a "compression" fitting, and this is not. It looks like the one I need though!

Merci!

sharpf

Post by sharpf » Mon May 19, 2008 9:39 am

Come back David!!!!

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon May 19, 2008 9:45 am

My experience is limited to the water heaters and plumbing in our rental homes. I have not seen a fitting like in the picture. It is not easy to tell from the picture if the threads would work. It look more like a hose connector than house plumbing. Threaded ends come with different types of threading. (fine, coarse) Give it a try or get a compression fitting and you will have to remove the existing threaded end... the best thing is to visit a local plumbing supply so you can see the part and get advice from the in-house experts..
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

sharpf

Post by sharpf » Sun May 25, 2008 8:31 pm

Sorry for not responding. I am pretty sure this is for the purpose I need, but in looking at the copper pipe in the water heater closet, it may not match the size as the copper female end looks more like 3/4" than 1/2. That's nuts, 1/2 everywhere else but 3/4 in water heater connections? Oh well, I know they have converter connections.

Now to get under there and get it finished! I am taking it slow and thinking things through to make sure it is done once and done rigt. If I do the hot water perfect, then I may do the cold water lines. They are in better shape, so maybe not.

Anyway, I will let you know how it goes and if any questions come up during the install.

Thanks so much!!!!!