BLOCK FOUNDATION

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
kc

BLOCK FOUNDATION

Post by kc » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:51 am

I just bought a 7 yr old doublewide and in excellent condition. Currently it has skirting. Do I need to put it on a block foundation? If so, what is the process and what should this cost me? Can I do it myself? Please help!

Thank you,

KC

rmurray

Re: BLOCK FOUNDATION

Post by rmurray » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:12 pm

You have not said if you are moving the house....Some local governments now require masonry underpinning...If you are not moving, they cannot require you to make any changes...Actually most of the "block foundations" you see are actually block underpinning...The homes do not really sit on them..Like any home improvement you should check about your local code...In some places there has to be a poured concrete footer under the block...This is the preferred way of installing block underpinning (skirting)..This IS a job that can be done by a handy homeowner...Professional installation could run thousands..I would be hard for anyone here to guess..They would have to know where you are, how big the home is and how high it is..

I am sorry there has to be a delay for your posts to go live..To control large amounts of spam ads...All posts must be reviewed by a moderator and cleared to go live..Almost always all posts are live within 24 hours..I deleted your other 3 duplicate posts...If you reply there will be a few hours before it goes live on the forum..

David Oxhandler

Re: BLOCK FOUNDATION

Post by David Oxhandler » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:31 am

Block skirting (underpinning) overkill is in most cases. Manufactured homes are supported by the steel frame which is designed to be supported by a foundation system under the main I Beams. The exterior walls are supported by outrigger arms that extend from the I beams below the outside walls.

The most substantial skirting system around is System-1 skirting by Hoffman Concrete. System-1 is what skirting should be- 100% solid concrete. System-1 is not an imitation or a look alike – it is the original concrete skirting system that resists the elements from the summer heat of Texas to the harsh winters of Minnesota. System-1 is built to last and is designed to stay put for years of dependable service.

David Oxhandler
[email protected]