Please help - Framing and footers

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
britcom61

Please help - Framing and footers

Post by britcom61 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:42 pm

Hi all, I am new to this forum and really would like to hear from anyone who has gone through this or can help.
We have a stick built home with a 65x14 mobile home attached. The mobile home has the bathrooms and kitchen and we cannot afford to have it removed and finish off the house construction. I have noticed that it is out of level, one side is 18 inches off the ground, the other is 36inches. Seems to have settled over the years towards the 36" side. What kind of jacks can I use to level her and Where, how many do I need?
We would like to remove the underpinning and replace with block, then frame in walls around the shell and add a regular pitch shingle roof. I hope this will help stop the pipes from freezing, it is very windy in the winter here out in the open. I cannot figure out how to lay the block so we can use regular 8ft studs. Also need advice on digging and pouring the footers. The materials come out around $5000.00, but the best estimate I have had so far is $14000,00 for the job. I have a background in construction, carpentry, roofing, laying block etc. Just have not been in the business for 10 years or so. Plus have never attempted this kind of project. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Lee.

David Oxhandler

Re: Please help - Framing and footers

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:20 pm

It sound like your home is out of square and needs to be releveled. You should NOT try to level your home by yourself. The operations involved in jacking and raising the home can be very dangerous and should be attempted only by experienced individuals.

the Releveling Kit from Aberdeen Repair includes complete step-by-step instructions and a waterline level. Use these instructions and the enclosed waterline level to determine whether or not your home is out of level. You will also use this information to become a better-informed consumer and give yourself the upper hand when it comes to hiring a contractor to do the job.

The detailed instructions will show you how to do the following: learn the causes of why your home becomes unlevel learn how to set-up, calibrate and read a waterline level determine where your home is unlevel and by how much learn what to watch-out for before, during and after releveling your home learn proper jack placement learn how your contractor should safely jack-up your home

Once the home is releveled you might want to consider using the block as a foundation for your new exterior framed walls and to insulate the new walls enough to eliminate the frost problems under the home. Leave a hatchway so you can get under the home in the event that you need to make repairs at some later date. Read the free article How to select and install a heat tape to eliminate water line problems under the home.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]