Replacing Double windows with doors

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
scottyl

Replacing Double windows with doors

Post by scottyl » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:16 pm

Would ripping out the double windows located in the back centered on the house create a problem 2 my double wide. I would like to put french doors which would lead to the back patio?

AR

Re: Replacing Double windows with doors

Post by AR » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:51 pm

Hi Im having the same work done. Im curious of how your project turned out. I have three windows on my house and Im putting double french doors in. I am a little worried. Are you happy with the outcome?

lilbit

Post by lilbit » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:15 am

no problem. last summer my husband removed a single window and replaced with a double french door. he did have to do some cutting to make it fit -but it looks great!!i have a small patio off my french doors now!!

maurakiernan

Post by maurakiernan » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:30 am

We have a single wide 1966 New Moon Mobile home, has been roofed and sided and a porch added to one side. We would like to remove one exterior door and one window between the trailer and the porch (approx 12 feet of exterior wall), and replace with french or sliding doors AND 2 sidelights.

This home is in the heart of the Adirondacks, finding anyone with professional mobile home renovation experience is nill. Three questions:

1) Is there any unusual materials or construction of these old trailer exterior walls that we should be aware of - other than the electric outlet?
2) Understanding we need a strong header for this long wall of windows - can we do this project with reasonably competent general renovation guys?
3) Any idea where can we find sliders with sidelights that are shorter than the norm (or can be shaved to fit)?

The rest of the renovations have been smashing - this lakeside retreat is very clean and cute as a button, we even put in a fireplace! This would make it perfect....

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:09 pm

1966 was prior to the federal HUD code that regulates manufactured home construction... so it is difficult to say what the wall framing might be like. You will most likely find 2x3 framed walls.

Like any framed structure you can replace sections of wall with windows or doors. As you pointed out you must replace the framing you remove with a header and supports that are substantial enough to carry the roof load. If you have attached any additions to that side of the home be sure to take the weight and stress they may add into account when you design your opening.

You should be able to hire any carpenter that has done this type of renovation and understands the support dynamics involved.

If your looking for windows or other parts that are specifically designed for use in manufactured homes you will find the largest number of possibilities at the Mobile Home Parts Store they now carry Philips Windows which I have found to be the best quality for replacements in manufactured homes
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

maurakiernan

Post by maurakiernan » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:16 am

Well thank you for the prompt response! We shall move forward...wish us luck!