Att: Mark Bower

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Donald

Att: Mark Bower

Post by Donald » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:21 am

Mark:
Please provide any, and all assistance [advise] that I may have in forcing compliance with the HUD Label on my 1999 Patriot Manufactured Home. I had a contractor install a geothermal unit in our home. Obviously, without noticing, and adhering to the HUD Label, indicating, that, the unit could only be 'up to 39,700 btu, he installed a 4 ton unit; thus, seriously oversizing the unit. Therefore, the unit runs more [short cycles] and fails to remove the excess humidity. My wife is totally disabled, and the fact that, she is on ozygen, the humidity is determental to her health; notwithstanding, that, the excess humidity will have adverse conditions to the home, e.g., moisture, mold, etc. Likewise, it is my understanding, that, the VA will not loan money on a Manufactured Home, that, has not complied with the HUD requirements. I live in southern Illinois. At this time I would like to thank you for all assistance, and consideration in this matter.

rmurray

Re: Att: Mark Bower

Post by rmurray » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:59 pm

What size a/c did you order..few installers would install one larger than your expectations because they cost them more...HUD will not interject itself into your civil argument......
When VA and FHA say they will not mortgage a home, they are referring to structural changes to the home or foundations that do not meet their standards...I have never heard of a Va or FHA inspector looking to see if the a/c meets the HUD label requirements...

You failed to mention how long you have had this unit..Seems to me that the complaint should have been made during the warranty period....I am sure by now you have contacted your states HVAC licensing authority about complaint procedures..

Donald

Post by Donald » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:31 am

Please be advised, myself, like any other customer would not 'order' any air conditioner, of any size. A customer would always rely on the competence of a professional heating/cooling installer. After learning of the injury, i.e., the fact that, the air conditioning would cycle on, and off for short periods of time, I realized that there must be an error. Therefore, I observed the HUD Label under the kitchen sink area, which stated clearly 'up to 39,700 btu'.
The installer failed to do a Manual J, to determine what size to install; notwithstanding, that, the HUD Label must be adhered to. When I asked "[W]hat size do you intend to install?" He replied, "[Y]ou already have a 3 ton, you always go up." So, therefore, based on this ridiculous assumption, and failure to adhere to the Federal Code of Regulations, i.e., the HUD Label, the installer over-sized the unit. "Bigger is not better!" Any layman would rely on a professional installer. In Illinois there are no license required for a heating, and cooling installer. The statutory limitations in Illinois have not elapsed for a tort.

trmimo

Post by trmimo » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:43 am

Rmurray is right, HUD does not regulate aftermarket HVAC sales. HUD regulates home manufacturers. HUD requires the manufacturer to provide the information on the data plate.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:00 am

Also the dealer is obligated to abide by the regulations and information for after market it becomes the homeowners responsibility to act on the information supplied..

Art

Post by Art » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:26 pm

Hi Mark,

Would there be any advantage in using 2x4"s as opposed to furring strips when installing a metal roof? I would like to add thicker insulation.

thanks.