Keeping Flex Duct Safe

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Smoker

Keeping Flex Duct Safe

Post by Smoker » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:17 pm

Greetings Folks

Just went under the house and found that there are some rips in the flex duct.

But before I get it replaced (yes the rips are that bad) I would like to know what I can do to keep the new flex duct safe.

I sure don't want to replace it often or even again.

Smoker

Mark Bower

Re: Keeping Flex Duct Safe

Post by Mark Bower » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:04 pm

If the flex duct is getting ripped or torn, you either have critters getting underneath the home, or sloppy service workers are damaging it when crawling around. Good skirting will keep the bigger critters out. Another option is to replace the flex duct with a metal duct. Then apply insulation around it. Then your much safer from damage, and will probably get better airflow too.

Mark
----
You gotta see my mobile home repair manual!

Smoker

Post by Smoker » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:59 am

Thanks for your reply Mark.

Is metal duct much more expensive ? I would imagine it is harder to install. Especially for my house since the wheels were left under, making it quite cramped under there.

Is the metal duct idea a common solution ? So would I find this metal duct at local stores along with the insulation necessary ?

Smoker

Mark Bower

Post by Mark Bower » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:44 am

If you still have axles and such in the way, it could be a big pain to install the metal cross-over duct. On most doublewides tho, the axles are often removed as the dealer likes to keep them for use again, or sells them.

Most home-improvement stores will not have the size of metal that you require (8,10,12, 14, 16"????). You'll have to visit a regular heating and cooling dealer.

Mark
----

Smoker

Post by Smoker » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:00 pm

Hm ok metal duct sounds great against critters and wear but don't think thats going to be a solution for me.

So back to the original question about protecting the flex duct. We try to keep the skirting in place but they do come off from time to time. Are there any other thoughts about protecting the flex duct ?

I've heard mothballs help keep critters away. How effective are they ? of many and often would one use them ?

Smoker

Mark Bower

Post by Mark Bower » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:11 pm

Mothballs seem to do a good job of keeping some critters away. Best solution is to beef-up your skirting.

Mark
----

Smoker

Post by Smoker » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:13 am

Sorry to drag this on but maybe there are tips that I do not know about (I'm quite sure there are).

What sort of tips would you give to "beef-up" my skirting ?

Smoker

Mark Bower

Post by Mark Bower » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:14 pm

Basically you want the skirting so it doesn't fall off, and there's no big holes for critters to get in. Yet be sure you have vents so the moisture doesn't ruin everything.

Mark
----

mccoyae

Post by mccoyae » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:47 am

Get rid of the vinyl skirting and install solid skirting such as the pre-fab concrete skirting frequently suggested here. Or brick, stone or block. It will look better and add value to your home, too.

admin

The most substantial skirting

Post by admin » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:33 am

The most substantial skirting system around is System-1 skirting by Hoffman Concrete. System-1 is what skirting should be- 100% solid concrete. System-1 is not an imitation or a look alike – it is the original concrete skirting system that resists the elements from the summer heat of Texas to the harsh winters of Minnesota. System-1 is built to last and is designed to stay put for years of dependable service.

Get more info, check out the photos and submit the short form for a free price quote at www.concreteskirting.com

David Oxhandler
mailto:[email protected]