replacing brown walls with the same panels?

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Mary999

replacing brown walls with the same panels?

Post by Mary999 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:06 am

We have a 1974 home which had those dark brown walls, with vertical slats or ridges or whatever they are, until most were painted light colors.

The previous owners tried to repair one of the walls and did a horrible job. The joint compound or whatever they used is uneven and ugly. I have been using my electric sander for days and am very frustrated.

Can someone tell me if those brown wall panels are available commonly at hardware or building stores? I'd like my handyman to just remove the poorly repaired section and install a new section, which I can then primer and paint.

If those wall panels are not available, does anyone have any other ideas, other than putting something (a chair or bookcase) in front of the bad area to hide it. That's my last resort, I guess, but I'd rather it looked nice instead.

Thanks for advice.

Mac

Re: replacing brown walls with the same panels?

Post by Mac » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:27 pm

Wallpaper? Grass paper? There is wallpaper that has a taped-and-textured look as well. All you'd need to do is use drywall mud to get it smoothed out.

Mark Bower

Re: replacing brown walls with the same panels?

Post by Mark Bower » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:45 am

Very unlikely you'll find paneling to match. Back then real wood paneling was usually used, and that's getting harder to find. And if you do find it, it probably won't match.

Mark
----
You gotta see my mobile home repair manual!