Painting Cabinets

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Ila East

Painting Cabinets

Post by Ila East » Wed May 24, 2006 10:29 am

We purchased a 1987 mobile home. Let's face it, the kitchen and bath cabinets are cheap. My husband calls them sawdust and glue. How do I revitalize them short of replacing them? Can they be painted? I was told by an employee of the paint department at a well known chain that they would warp. Have any of you tried, what was the result?

Thanks.

Mary999

Re: Painting Cabinets

Post by Mary999 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:23 am

We have a 1974 home and I painted the ugly dark brown bathroom cabinets. I first removed the ugly hardware (later replaced with cute updated hardware), primered with Zins, and then painted a very light beige (Cream in Your Coffee). I let them dry for a week before using the bathroom for showers. (We have a second bathroom, fortunately!)

They look quite wonderful and so far are just fine.

What an improvement!

Sylvia

Post by Sylvia » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:06 am

I'm not exactly sure where my posts from my last visit went but here ya go... I painted my cupboards. First I used zinzer paint and then for the look I was going for, an outdoor flat house paint. They're a medium sage green. I fitted them with some very upscale, too expensive hardware and I have a kitchen that could come right out of a magazine. It's wonderful :)

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:29 am

Sylvia....Thanks for taking the time to register...Your posts are always welcome and valuable...Your previous replies that made it to the board have all been saved and should still be there...The webmaster had to make the changes because of thousands ( for a couple of days thousands per hour) of spam posts some hacker had figured how to send to the boards..For a couple of days there were massive number of deletes he had to make..I am sure a few legitimate posts got caught up in the problem..So far the new system is working fine..he has saved all thousands of entries from the last few years...The search function will still allow those to find previous threads on their subject...

Come back often..

Sylvia

Post by Sylvia » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:03 am

When the appraiser came out, he mentioned the painted cupboards and too expensive hardware twice in his report. Not only do they look gorgeous they added tremendously to the value :)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:31 am

Thank you for sharing your kitchen photo. Did you put in your wood floor? This is our next project for this winter. Ryan
Ryane

Sylvia

Post by Sylvia » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:37 am

It's actually high quality vinyl. At that time we were going to do pergo but the floor buckled and was not level. Since then, we've added a basement and so we have a real foundation and the house is perfectly level. So, that's on our list.

llwright

Post by llwright » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:04 am

Sylvia,

I'm thinking about painting my cabinets. Has the flat paint shown fingerprints?

Lisa

Sylvia

Post by Sylvia » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:40 am

Flat paint doesn't show fingerprints. Shiny surfaces do. We've had to touch up the paint a few times though. Teenagers! lol

ila123

Post by ila123 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:53 pm

Thanks for all the replies, but no one indicated what type of cabinets you painted. Were they solid wood, MDF, or particle board? Ours are either MDF or particle board. I wouldn't hesitate at all to paint MDF, but I'm not sure about particle board.