Replacing Insulation/Underbelly

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Mark Harguth

Replacing Insulation/Underbelly

Post by Mark Harguth » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:20 pm

While moving our 1999 Manufactured home to a permanent site in Tillamook, Oregon, the underbelly was torn and the insulation absorbed water. I have released the water from the underbelly, however, in order to avoid dryrot, mildew, etc. I am leaning toward removing the old insulation and replacing it with new. I understand that will also entail replacing the underbelly. The house is being placed in a permanent location and will have a block foundation. Luckily, the foundation has not been installed as we cannot install the foundation until such time as the underbelly is repaired (per local inspector). I have placed a vapor barrier on our slab. I would appreciate some input as to the magnitude of the job that I might be undertaking. Also, as the home is in a permanent location, will have a foundation and has a vapor barrier installed, is it necessary to install an underbelly or can I install foil backed insulation? Lastly, does anyone have any tips or suggestions on anything else I might do or how to make this repair without it becoming a major undertaking. Thanks for your help.

Mark