moving an older double wide

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
AlaskaMom

Re: moving an older double wide

Post by AlaskaMom » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:50 pm

I was wondering if you knew the best way to separate Two trailers (double wide)?
We own a Doublewide, so to speak. One is an addition that was built on a trailer frame with axles and wheels. Both sides are fully equipped to simply hook up and haul away except that we need to spin them around first. So, how do movers usually separate them enough to move them? My husband is a general contractor but has never done this before. He doesn't know that I am asking for help. His idea is to jack them up and set them on greased I beams and then some how pull them apart.
Do you know if this will work or do you know of any better ideas?

Thanks!

Alaska Mom

rmurray

Re: moving an older double wide

Post by rmurray » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:03 pm

Usually the wheels and axles are gone...Separating a double section home is a big technical job and can be dangerous not to mention dangerous to the home...Almost all haulers are equipped and skilled at this process and have rental axles available...Once apart the homes would have to be prepared for highway transit all haulers will know your states requirements. To do this right can be expensive....