Closet Organizer Installation

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
LindaOz

Closet Organizer Installation

Post by LindaOz » Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:36 pm

One of my closet organizer racks collapsed, pulling out from the sheet rock. None of the support devices were connected to any wood - just sheetrock with those plastic sheetrock screw thingies (sorry about the terminology). I need to reinstall and need to know if these thing typically need to be screwed into wood, or did I simply put too much weight on the shelf?

Thanks,

Linda

Tom

Re: Closet Organizer Installation

Post by Tom » Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:41 pm

Probably should have been installed using the wall studs. The wallboard is not thick enough to handle that much weight. What you can do is take a board and run it across the studs, nail it to the studs, then attach the organizer to the wood. Tom

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:20 am

The fasteners should be fastened into wall studs...

Also...the plastic hangers are for light loads...there are metal hangers available that will hold many more pounds...

Karen P

Post by Karen P » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:24 pm

Where can I get the metal hanger (brackets). My shelve and rods fell right before Thanksgiving. We looked all over town and couldn't find the metal ones, just plastic. My husband did buy the plastic and put them right up against the old one. Any better idea?

Bill Fry

Post by Bill Fry » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:58 pm

Those plastic inserts usually hold pretty good in standard 1/2 sheetrock but they don't do to sell in thin 1/4 which you probably have.There are numerous devices for attaching to sheetrock,ask your local home improvment or hardware store for advice. You can buy metal brackets(which are incased in plastic) at Home Depot or Lowes.etc.

LindaOz

Post by LindaOz » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:33 pm

Tom & RMurray,

Thanks for your help. I'll either use a wood strip or start donating clothes. :-)

Linda

LindaOz

Post by LindaOz » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:34 pm

Thanks Bill.

Linda

LindaOz

Post by LindaOz » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:36 pm

Karen,

I saw the metal ones at a store which I believe is called "Stacks & Stacks".

Linda

rupertanton

Post by rupertanton » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:02 am

Besides of reinstalling it, why don't you buy new custom closet. It will save your time and money. ;)