Wall removal in single wide

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
William Hoover

Wall removal in single wide

Post by William Hoover » Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:48 pm

I own a small 16 x 60 two bed room Country Place built by Palm Harbor. I want to tear out a ten foot section of wall that encloses the second bed room to create one big living room. The wall in question contains my furnace on one corner so a big furnaced size pillar will still be under the roof in addition the other wall, the one that runs perpendicular to the wall I want to remove. Can I remove this bedroom wall? The wall only spans10 feet across the 16 foot wide house Or how do i know if it is load bearing?.

William

Tom

Re: Wall removal in single wide

Post by Tom » Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:19 pm

Hi, there are no load bearing interior walls in a single wide unless an addition was put on. Tom

William

Post by William » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:08 pm

Thanks Tom,

That is what i wanted to hear. The demolition process, or wall removal, will start soon. I'm glad to know my roof won't be in jeopardy of sagging if I remove a wall or two. From what you say I could basically hollow my home out and create one big loft-type home. Thanks for the input on single wides not having loadbearing walls. My dad was not sure but now he is convinced I'm not crazy.

William

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:39 pm

In homes built in the early and mid 80s where some of the rooms have cathedral ceilings and some flat ceilings the wall at the transition point can be load-bearing.

trmimo

Post by trmimo » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:02 am

It's not true that single wides don't have interior walls that are load bearing. Interior walls do not carry roof load, but many, many single wides (especially those built in the south) have interior shear walls.
These walls carry wind load. You would need to contact the engineering department at the Palm Harbor plant that built your house to find out if this is a shear wall.