Painting Over wallpaper

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Will

Painting Over wallpaper

Post by Will » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:52 pm

We have a 2000 Castle Home where all of the rooms are wall papered...Could anyone tell me if we can paint over the paper or if it needs to be removed. thanks for your help..

lacey

Re: Painting Over wallpaper

Post by lacey » Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:11 am

hi
i have been told that you can paint over the vinyl with products such as those made by zinsser. i have not ever tried it, but was told that by a mfg home sales person. you can find info about zinsser products on the internet.

maybe someone that has experience with that type of project will add in more info....

sharon

Post by sharon » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:56 am

We have a 20 year old mobile home. I have primed and painted ALL the walls. Use a good primer. Zinsser, available at Lowes & Home Depot, makes one called KILZ, but the fumes can be a bit much in a closed up home. ( Hense the name?) They also make one called 1-2-3 Primer. That's the one I used with great success. Give the primer 24 - 48 hours to adhere and then paint to your heart's content. :)

missy

Post by missy » Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:06 am

I have painted over almost all the wallpaper in my home. The walls were not originally drywalled. It was finished with the 4 x 8 sheets that come standard in a manufactured home. The wallpaper actually sticks even better to that than drywall so I didn't even wrinke up. I didn't even prime it. The only thing I would recommend is priming with a good primer if there is a pattern that might show through. Also for your information Kilz is a great priming. It's main purpose is to cover water damage. But I have used it in other applications.

Laura

Post by Laura » Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:14 am

We just finished painting over all the rooms of our manufactured home. It had hideous dark paneling, even more hideous wallpaper with tea cups & flowers, and popcorn ceiling. We invested a bundle in Benjamin Moore flat regal paint, and hired a local painter to do the work. It looks absolutely fabulous. We also provided BIN primer, which he used throughout. I can't tell you what a difference the lack of popcorn makes - We now have a light, wonderful, spacious feeling space. I researched paint colors extensively before going with them, so if anyone is after a good taupe, complimentary white for trim & ceiling, and some beautiful greens & yellows, let me know. Now I just have to tackle the tacky cabinets - they're also a dark, hideous fake paneling. I want to paint them white with a product I've ordered called cabinet rescue and paint the equally hideous countertops with a product I found called armorpoxy. The cabinet rescue is on its way, but I've yet to decide what color to paint the countertops. I also have to tackle the horrible pink trim & backdrop that's on the countertops in both bathrooms. We're getting laminate, berber carpet, and cool cobalt blue/white vinyl tiles installed next week. I have to admit that I was worried about the transition from our big, modern tract home to our tiny manufactured home on 20 acres, but I am becoming more and more excited with the possibilities. We couldn't have afforded 20 acres and a stick built home in California, where the prices are astronomical, so we are actually very lucky that we stumbled upon this manufactured home that no one else wanted. Now all we have to do is disguise the skirting - I already posted a new post on the skirting issue, but anyone with any ideas on what works, please post them. Thanks for your help! This forum has been invaluable to me.
Laura

ila123

Post by ila123 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:43 am

Laura, I am very interested in your cabint painting project. Our cabinets are either particle board or MDF. Our local home center told us not to paint particle board. I don't see why we couldn't paint the vinyl face the same as we painted the walls, but I am intereted in the product you called cabinet rescue. Could you send me more information about it and how your cabinets turned out. Thanks.

my address is: [email protected]

ila123

Post by ila123 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:45 am

We recently completed painting our used mobile home. We were told at the local home center to use an oil-based primer, not a latex one. Latex will peel off. We were also told if there were odors in the walls to use a shellac-based primer.

Tracey T.

Post by Tracey T. » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Hi- Laura
I am getting ready to paint the walls of our bathrooms and kitchen. Can you please give me more info. on the greens and yellows you used?

Thanks

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:41 pm

Sorry but Laura has not posted here since 2004. 7 1/2 years ago. I would guess she is doing another remodel by now. Good Luck with your job..

psaltee

Post by psaltee » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:26 pm

hi neighbor!

we have repainted all througout our mh and used Bher paint. They're paint has a pre-primer in their paint that covers really well. I took the time to spackle corners and spaces were paneling used to be and it covered very well. looks really good! have had a lot of nice comments about the paint color and how well it adds to the interior. bher paint does a great job. make sure you prep the walls with tsp.

psaltee