shut off valve on toilet

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Hannah

shut off valve on toilet

Post by Hannah » Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:40 am

I am replacing the toilet and the flex hose that goes to the toilet. My problem is that the turn off valve is not like a conventional valve where the flex hose releases ( turning nut) on both ends from the shut off valve under toilet. The end that is next to the shut off is a permenant part of the shut off and not independent. Can I take out the Shut off valve at the junction before the shut off valve and replace it with a conventioal valve? Is this type of valve specifically in manufacture homes? Mine is a Silvercreast 95. And yes, I do love my home.

Thanks,

Tom

Re: shut off valve on toilet

Post by Tom » Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:50 am

I'm trying to picture this in my head and not doing very well. If this is a permanent set up, then I guess as you stated the existing valve will have to be cut out. This article http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/article11.html explains how do do it via the crimping method. Now you dont necessarily have to use this method, but if you want to vary from it, and no one else pipes in here, I would suggest you post your question again via the forum in the above link. Plumbing is not my strong suit, but there are others in the forum who can help out. Tom

Candy

Post by Candy » Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:36 am

Tom, Thank you so much . In this too busy world, the fact that you take the time to answer shows great kindness.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:51 pm

Candy, thats very nice of you to say. I'm just a homeowner like everyone else and can remember a time where there was no online help. So I'm just giving back what I have received. Tom

Agustin

Post by Agustin » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:26 am

I have never seen a shut off valve-supply line combo in all my plumbing jobs.

But anyways, I would'nt keep this valve if I were you.
To get this problem out of the way, you sweat off your old shut-off valve
and solder a new one onto the same pipe and install new supply lines.Braided supply lines are the best in the market thou kinda expensive compared to flexible plastic tubing.

Write back if you need more help!

Agustin :)