Cleaning manufactured home ductwork?

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Bill

Cleaning manufactured home ductwork?

Post by Bill » Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:28 pm

Is there a way to clean the ductwork in a manufactured home? We are in the process of buying a 1994 Dutch that's on private property. Anyway, it was previously lived in by HEAVY smokers. The home was a repo, and the bank put in all new floor covering and had it painted, but it has been sitting vacant all summer, and still reeks of stale smoke inside. I'm concerned that the ducts are going to be pumping more of this nasty smell into the house when we fire up the furnace this winter. Any ideas?

Part 2 of my question: If it's not feesable to clean the flex ducts, how costly would it be to replace them? I can do just about anything myself, but don' t have a clue as to where I'd find the replacement flexable ductwork for it.

Thanks a bunch for any info or feedback!

Bill

rmurray

Re: Cleaning manufactured home ductwork?

Post by rmurray » Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:00 am

There are professional duct cleaning companies..I trust there are a few in your area..

If the ducts are in the floor..they are very easy to change and can be replaced by any type of duct..most would replace with metal systems...Professional installation will cost about $3K..

I doubt the home actually has flex ducts (unless they are in the roof...which are very hard to change)..The flex duct is a crossover between the halves of the home..Most likely the rest of the ducts are fiberglass..or something of the sort..Flex ducts are very common in stick built homes and should be available at any home improvement store..Good Luck with your home..

Bill

Re: Cleaning manufactured home ductwork?

Post by Bill » Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:44 am

Thanks Murray,
The ducts are in the floor. I thought they used flex ducts throughout, but if they are of the standard variety, then getting them cleaned should be no problem.