Siding problem

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Rod

Siding problem

Post by Rod » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:18 pm

I purchased an older MH with metal siding. About every 6 ft. is a plastic spline that serves as a seam between the two pieces of siding. The plastic has deteriorated to the point where I can see the studs in some places. Where can I find replacement splines? Or is some other repair method better? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rod

Tracy Mason

Re: Siding problem

Post by Tracy Mason » Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:25 pm

Depending on what you are willing to invest in your home, my suggestion would be to remove the siding and install masonite/cladwood siding or plywood and vinyl What year and make is this home? I have never seen plastic strips between metal so this has me scratching my head. But even if you do find plastic strips again, you know its just a matter of time until your right back to this same problem again.

Tracy

Rod

Re: Siding problem

Post by Rod » Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:45 pm

Hi Tracy!
Thanks for the suggestion. It is a 1975 Champion. It is also the first one I have seen like this. It is installed almost like vinyl siding, except for the gaps. And because of the age/value, I'm not sure I want to invest in replacement siding. I have thought about using metal strips like those used between rooms on flooring, but it would take a fair amount of sealant to work.

Rod