Damaged Siding (Easy Fix?)

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Anton

Damaged Siding (Easy Fix?)

Post by Anton » Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:11 pm

My wife and I have recently purchased a repoed 1999 Redman doublewide Manufactured Home housed on a permanent foundation. This is our first home and as far as we can tell the MH was very well taken care of. One of our concerns with the home is the siding. When we were first looking at home, I noticed some cracks in the siding (I think that it is called Hardboard Siding, not sure, it looks like 4’ wide sheets notched to appear as vertical wood paneling). At the time, I felt that this was a minor problem. Was I right? Can I fill in the cracks with putty or caulking and paint over? Or does this sound like something more serious?
We live in dry New Mexico with an average rainfall of 7.5 inches, 273 sunny days and low humidity, could this really be water damage?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Tracy Mason

Re: Damaged Siding (Easy Fix?)

Post by Tracy Mason » Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:01 pm

Anton,

If I had to guess you probably have either cladwood or masonite. Once water finds a spot that is not painted or caulked, it has a way of getting under and behind the wood. As you probably already know the trim and panels are unpainted on the back sides and the water starts to swell the boards--And once they crack you now have a sponge affect happening on the open cracks making your problem worse.

Answer:
I would caulk every trim board including above the doors and windows.Also you may want to caulk the seams in the panels where they overlap every 4'. Paint the home (Keeping a good paint job on a manufactured home is one of the most important items to keep the exterior in good shape for years). You can fill the nail holes with a good grade caulk and a sponge brush gives it a textured look if you get the brush damp first.
Good Luck with your new home,

Tracy

Anton

Post by Anton » Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:51 pm

Thank You Tracy
Any recomendations on types or brands of paint. How should I prepare the siding to be painted? Powerwashing? Primer? Or should I just paint?

Thank you for you time and help

Tracy Mason

Post by Tracy Mason » Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:44 pm

Anton,

Powerwashing a home can be a good thing, but it is mainly used in the field to get road grime and diesel exhaust smoke from the home being driven from the factory to its location, Powerwashing is also use to remove the Chloride used as a
de-icer here in Colorado. I would recommend a good scrubbing with hot water and soap, and a rinse. Once the home is dried out (normally 2 days with good warm,dry weather),I would go ahead and check all your siding for loose caulking and make any repairs before painting at that time.. As for the paint-----Its kinda like a automobile. EVERYONE HAS THERE OWN OPPINION!!

Just remember this. You get what you pay for! Cheap paint ='s a cheap paint job.

Answer: Take the money you save from renting/buying a powerwasher and spend it on a good quality paint and a dinner out.

Good luck with the painting, Im sure it's gonna turn out GREAT!!

Tracy