Glass Replacement

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Art Rigsby

Glass Replacement

Post by Art Rigsby » Sun May 25, 2003 1:29 pm

Yesterday, without any apparent reason, the outside pane on the fixed section of our patio door started cracking. The cracking continued for about 10 minutes and then the glass fell out. The door is dual pane and I would like to know if the pane can be replaced or do I have to buy a new door? We have a Silvercrest MH.

Thanks
Art

Art Rigsby

Re: Glass Replacement

Post by Art Rigsby » Fri May 30, 2003 6:01 pm

The dual pane glass insert has to be made at the factory and then installed in the door frame.

Art

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Sat May 31, 2003 4:32 am

It is cheaper to replace the whole door assemble Art..

Art Rigsby

Post by Art Rigsby » Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:56 am

Murray,

You could very well be right. I did not investigate replacing the whole door assembly, just the dual pane section. That is going to cost around $300 installed. I think I might be able to replace the entire door for that but I am an old dude and don't feel like messing with it.

Art

Galen

Post by Galen » Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:00 am

The glass pane can EASILY be replaced by any glass company without replacing the entire door. Contact the door manufacturer, they will sometimes ship you a glass free if you find an installer (even if your home is out of warranty). This sounds like a stress crack and SHOULD be covered under warranty. You may find that you can buy a door cheaper than buying a glass, but you will have to foot the bill for installation. In the end it evens out pretty close. Good Luck!