Ductboard ducts

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Bonnie Blue

Ductboard ducts

Post by Bonnie Blue » Tue May 13, 2003 8:18 pm

My friend has been living with a musty smell which is possibly something coming from the ductwork in the 9yr old Redman.She bought it as the second owner,and it appeared in like new condition. Within a few wks,after moving it to new spot,water appeared on the floor by the ac unit.Ac man unstopped the drain,and sprayed an odor killer which made the odor worse.When cleaning the floor vents,she noticed that the ductwork was not metal,but some type board which looked like fiberglass.It had no shiny finish but was a brown wood color.Her home is very tightly sealed and insulated.The smell has made her ill and I also experienced a headache and stuffy nose, shortness of breath after about l0 minutes there.She has had several service people,from plumbers to ac persons,and even the fire marshall come to try to find the source.It is highly likely that mold has somehow gotten into the ductwork.Does anyone know what material this ductwork is made of, and why metal would not have been used instead of whatever is there? There does not seem to be anyone interested or qualified here in s.Mississippi in replacing the ductwork.Also her insurance will not cover it because of the ac leak which somehow may or may not be the original problem.The previous owners said they had no odor problem,but that they had NEVER cleaned the ac.Does anyone know who or whre to go to inquire about the ductwork material?? This lady is having a lot of health issues and cannot abandon the home.Appreciate any info on this.Thanks.

Jack

Re: Ductboard ducts

Post by Jack » Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:13 pm

Well I believe I would just replace the duct work with the aluminum if in deed the duct work is made of some type of wood .If then the musty smell persists then you have a leak somewhere and it is causing a fungus or an airborn fungi ..