Help! Air Duct Problems!

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Tammie

Help! Air Duct Problems!

Post by Tammie » Sun May 11, 2003 6:34 am

Help! My airconditioner/heater ducts have been infiltrated by mice. They have used them as their personal bathroom too. Obviously there is a leak or big problem. I have bad allergies and I know this certainly isn't helping. I have called around and it is very expensive to have them cleaned. It also wouldn't fix the problem. I would like to have someone look at them and possibly replace them. I am finding though that a lot of places don't bother working on mobile homes. I have tried to find out how expensive new ducts are, but have yet to find them on line. I think mine are galvanized steel. I am in an old home that was obviously not taken care of by the previous owner. I can't wait to get a new home. I just can't afford it right now. So what do I do about my vents? Please Help!

marilyn

Re: Help! Air Duct Problems!

Post by marilyn » Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:36 am

tammie,
we had that problem with the mice. the problem was that the mice were going through the vent/register covers,(never thought a mouse could fit through those little slots),and using the ductwork like private tunnels.You can try using some of that blue or black washable furnace filter material cut to the size of the ducts where it comes out.And when you put the filters in,spray some lysol or other disenfectant spray down into the ductwork,and into the air intake.This will help kill any germs and stuff, plus make it smell better.Just make sure you don't use too thick a piece of filter or you will block your airflow out of the duct.You must get rid of the mice.
The filter material is very cheap,and is only a temporary fix to help alleviate some of the smell and allergens and also use a vacuum as far as you can reach the hose down into the ducts.
hope this helps you some at least.