Re roofing a Dbl wide(what's under there?)

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
David Tigner

Re roofing a Dbl wide(what's under there?)

Post by David Tigner » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:13 am

HI,I have a 1989 25x52 (shingled) and I started to see low spots in the roof.With the open ceiling design I know there prob. isn't much support up there.My question is whats used under the shingles (most commonly,sheeting 4x8 ply or????)? Can I just ripp up the old shingles and replace the wood sheets that are probably bad or sagging,and replace the shingles with new? Any help before it springs a leak would help! Thanks

Rebecca Bowles

Re: Re roofing a Dbl wide(what's under there?)

Post by Rebecca Bowles » Sun May 11, 2003 8:20 am

I'm having my roof looked at right now because it did spring a leak through my ceiling. I've had a quick repair job until we can do the whole roof but was told by two estimators so far (one lives in a mobile home himself) that if you reroof, it could very easily be too much weight and that you'll never know if you do need to replace boards or not without exposing them. In my case, we're nearly certain I do have boards that need replaced so we will be stripping off the old shingles, replacing the board or two, then doing the felt, three tab shingle, etc. I got a couple books from the library on do-it-yourself and what they told me holds true. My home is almost identical to your description. Hope that helps.

Arlene Hunsberger

Re: Re roofing a Dbl wide(what's under there?)

Post by Arlene Hunsberger » Tue May 27, 2003 1:28 pm

we are interested in putting a pesked roof on our 25x55 Mobile and possiablely siding, it is a 1971 Peerless. Please give me some ideas and a ball park figure as to the cost.
Thank You Arlene Hunsberger