Windows

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Sandy

Windows

Post by Sandy » Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:15 pm

Would like to install new windows in my double wide, can we do this our self.

Sharon

Re: Windows

Post by Sharon » Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:45 pm

Had new windows put in my double wide last year, paid a contractor over $3000 and when I watched him do it I realized it was as easy as windows in a regular house. Had 10 good sized windows repalced and he did it in less than 2 days!! :-)

John

Post by John » Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:14 am

Yes, it's simple. Go for it. Just take out the old ones, take your measurements and go get new windows. You can use any smaller size, that will fit in the hole, so you can probably find these already made at local lumberyards...otherwise expect about a 3 week order/delivery delay, while you're living with an open hole or plywood window!

If the new window is a lot smaller than the opening, you'll have to put in some wood to nail the new ones to, but it's still a simple job. Just measure and saw the new wood to measure then nail/screw it in, then install the window with screws or nails and trim it with 1x4" or 1x2 " and you're done.

Galen

Post by Galen » Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:00 pm

contrary to popular belief - windows take special care when installing. Most of the problems normally atributed to windows are acually installation problems. Be sure the rough opening is square, level, plumb and THE CORRECT SIZE. You can also take a proper measurement without removing the present window. Be sure to use the proper silicone sealant behind the nail fins. The use of proper fasteners is VERY important also. The window also has to be plumb, level and square in the opening (no, you can't use a carpenter's square to square the window). Ensure to window is not "bowed" or "pinched". The sequence the fasteners are installed makes a BIG difference in the way the window operates. Just because someone installs 10 units in a short time does not mean it is an "easy" or "simple" process, nor does it insure that they are installed correctly. Most window manufacturers are getting real stingy on installation problems - most are getting to the point where they will require a trained installer to handle installs - or the warranty will be at least partly void. Be sure to read AND HEED the installation instructions.