ceiling-leaks

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Lee H

ceiling-leaks

Post by Lee H » Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:45 pm

I have recently purchased a 1980 mobile home. No problems until a heavy rain.
Can get the roof fixed but what should I do about the white paneled ceiling. Also,
what is between the roof and ceiling that is wet too?

Tracy

Re: ceiling-leaks

Post by Tracy » Fri Mar 21, 2003 9:03 am

The stuff between the roof and ceiling is the insulation. In the majority of manufactured homes, ceiling insulation is blown in cellulose. This can be replaced by any insulation contractor, and some "do it yourself" stores carry bags of insulation and will rent you the blower.

As to the ceiling panels - good luck. There are a few mobile home parts stores out there that can get you a white ceiling panel, one locally here in COlorado is Westland Distributing, they can get the "okalux" series. But you panel may be entirely different. Your best bet is to remove the whole ceiling, hang 5/8" rock and texture the ceiling. Then you know it will match! You could get away with just doing this in the room with the water damage if you don't want to do it to the entire home.

Good Luck!
Tracy

mary olsen

Post by mary olsen » Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:58 pm

i have major problems, need roof repair, and interior repairs,
also flooring needs repair.
i am a senior. with limited funds.....do not know where to turn.
am scared that my home will fall apart, before my eyes,,,,,,

Tracy

Post by Tracy » Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:23 am

Well Mary, sounds like you're in a pickle. I would contact your local Housing Authority. In some areas they offer loans for home repiars at very reuduced rates, or even deffered till death or sale - which means you don't pay a penny until you sell the house or pass on. Locally here in Northern Colorado, the Cith of Loveland Housing Authority has just institued a loan program specifically for mobile homes. So check it out in your area, you might find something!

Tracy